Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you done the big three upgrade? I know where to do the battery ground, and chassis ground, but how to get at the positive post on alternator is not clear on the diagrams. Do you think any parts have to be removed to get at the alternator? Haven't looked cause I don't have a lift kit yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a big 3 upgrade on my cruze and made a huge difference in spark blowout. Without it .028 was all I could squeeze out on a tune pushing 22 to 23 lbs of boost. With it I could go .030 to .032 safely. I wish too that I could find an equivalent copper plug as ngk vpower coppers always ran best long as you check the gap every oil change.

A member of the community there made awesome kits for cheap I think I paid 60 bucks for 1/0 gauge wires with professional ends and terminals etc.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
You need to clean the paint off behind the stock ground points also. I did that and added 3 extra points and made a big difference.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I noticed your thread on it and it may be another weekend project of mine. I'll note too for the OP that my big three kit on my cruze also lessened power drain on the headlights and improved my xm radio signal reception. I saw the OP posted in another thread about stereo upgrades so figured his goal was SQ and power for subs and amps.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Any pics on the setup? I did something like this on my 4G69 car because of the sound system setup.
Thx

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I the OP? My goal is freeing up current for my amps and subs. 5 farad Capacitor doesn't help at all with 1200 watts RMS for my sub amp. I'm planning on doing big 3, then possibly second power cell in the trunk. Found the battery B+ terminal. But is the main engine ground the one off the intake pipe in top left, near coolant tank? Maybe I don't know where the correct engine block to chassis connection is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, you are the OP (original poster)... All these acronyms can get very confusing!

And Forte5 made a great DIY about stock ground points and how crappy they are, so if you haven't cleaned the ground points already I highly recommend you do.

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/36-kia-forte-turbo-diy-section/814-ground-point-cleaning.html

Mind you with a 1000w RMS system you'll want to do the big 3 anyway. Possibly upgrade the battery too, but I'm not positive.. I don't even know what battery our car comes with stock (haven't been bothered to check) :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I saw his post and asked about it already. Big three should be simple to do on our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
Okay, for the uninitiated... What is the "Big Three?"
lol
The "Big 3" grounds in your car.

Basically it means switching to a thicker gauge wire to ground the:

1. Engine to Chassis
2. Battery to Chassis
3. Battery to Alternator

Commonly done for a lot of the bigger audio setups.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Especially on forced induction cars a better ground can produce a more stable and stronger spark. This means that it will be less prone to spark blowout, which occurs when the cylinder pressures are so high the spark fails to bridge the gap between electrode and strap. This results in an incomplete burn or even a miss on that cylinder. Since our GDI motors seem to really play havoc on plugs it's a no-brainer for me along with a catch can to slow buildup of sludge on the top end.

Anyways good luck with the audio build I'm considering a mild audio build, something simple to improve the stock tinny sounding audio.

·
Registered
514 Posts
a little off topic but how many amps are our alternators? are there other model KIA's that have higher output?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's usually on the alternator but I can't see it. It might be on the underside.
Common output is 120 to 140. But I'm not sure about our cars.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's usually on the alternator but I can't see it. It might be on the underside.
On over-engineered German cars, ya, but I think 80-90 is more common...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
On over-engineered German cars, ya, but I think 80-90 is more common...
.... :p

Part number: 37300 2B760RU or 37300 2B760 (more common)

Specifications says: 110 A.

Reactions: drc69 and 15ForteSX

·
Registered
399 Posts
.... :p

Part number: 37300 2B760RU or 37300 2B760 (more common)

Specifications says: 110 A.
Better then I thought, 110 is good. It is a small unit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
so are the velosters unfortunate because i'm reading theirs are 90A.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts