Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've searched and read lots of postings about bad smell coming from the vents, couldn't find my problem.

Long story short, driving on the highway, 2500rpm, 85Km/h, uphill, I smelled something similar to heated metal (IMO). No smoke. The second time, 3500rpm, about 100Km/h, uphill, same smell. Today, at a traffic light in the city, it went green and I gently started to accelerate and the smell came back. The smell lasts for about 30sec-1minute. Odometer is just a bit over 4k.

I took it to the dealership, they couldn't find the problem but changed the cabin filter and did a AC flush (not sure if that's the proper name for it). They changed the oil for the first time.

Still happening, especially driving uphill. I couldn't reproduce the smell by flooring it (went a bit over 6000rpm).

No difference if it's cold or hot (it did it in March and it does it now). The weather doesn't matter much. You can drive for hours and hours and no smell or you can drive for 5min and the smell comes.

Already tried different gas stations, different octane rating.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
>> They changed the oil for the >>first time.

Break in smells are normal. Same happened with mine. By 3 or 4k later smell went away.

If u smell burning wires or burning oil or burning tran fluid that would be different.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm still getting like a paint burn off smell or something like that at over 7000 miles... Happens when it's definitely nice and hot, it's like the exhaust still burning in or something, but it's the same smell that it had when new, just not going away quite yet, I think these cars take a while to FULLY break in...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Server
The smell lasts for about 30sec-1minute. Odometer is just a bit over 4k.
@danbfree
Well, it did that when it was cold (March) and it does it now. The weather doesn't matter much. You can drive for hours and hours and no smell or you can drive for 5min and the smell comes.

Already tried different gas stations, different octane rating.

·
Registered
514 Posts
does it ever smell when your at idle or at a stop?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Saphta - I can GUARANTEE you the octane rating of gasolines and different gas stations has NOTHING to do with any bizarre smells. Next time it happens, if possible pull over (safely) and open the hood and snoop around.
By any chance is this smell sort of like hard boiled eggs, rotten eggs or the smell of sulfur?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So far the only common thing is engine under load. Engine under load generates more heat and some oil/grease from production line may be burning out. You get into summer, push it a few times harder and problem should go away.

However, everytime I drive harder (WOT, brake, WOT...) once I come home there is this metallic type of smell from exhaust. Hence, it begs a question: How do you know it is coming from vents?
It is possible to suck smell from the back if trunk is not properly sealed (adjustment) or the flaps are stuck open (there are vents in the back that supposed to open only to release pressure from cabin).

So solution I would say is that - the hill, the one you climb, or find even longer/steeper one and try a few harder pulls. Get it really heated and then on the way back home let it cool off. I bet smells will be gone. If not, you will make it worse and KIA will finally find it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saphta - I can GUARANTEE you the octane rating of gasolines and different gas stations has NOTHING to do with any bizarre smells. Next time it happens, if possible pull over (safely) and open the hood and snoop around.
By any chance is this smell sort of like hard boiled eggs, rotten eggs or the smell of sulfur?
I did that because I read about other people recommending that. No change.

No, I don't smell sulphur. I visually checked the battery for any leaks, nothing there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far the only common thing is engine under load. Engine under load generates more heat and some oil/grease from production line may be burning out. You get into summer, push it a few times harder and problem should go away.

However, everytime I drive harder (WOT, brake, WOT...) once I come home there is this metallic type of smell from exhaust. Hence, it begs a question: How do you know it is coming from vents?
It is possible to suck smell from the back if trunk is not properly sealed (adjustment) or the flaps are stuck open (there are vents in the back that supposed to open only to release pressure from cabin).

So solution I would say is that - the hill, the one you climb, or find even longer/steeper one and try a few harder pulls. Get it really heated and then on the way back home let it cool off. I bet smells will be gone. If not, you will make it worse and KIA will finally find it.
The thing is I never drove it "harder". It happens at low speeds/rpm, randomly. So at the same place (hill), I smell it 2-3 times out of 10.
I can tell it's coming from the vents because the way they're set up (air blows on legs and chest)

·
Registered
827 Posts
I did that because I read about other people recommending that. No change.

No, I don't smell sulphur. I visually checked the battery for any leaks, nothing there.
Where did you read about other people recommending different gas stations and different octanes?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe a small anti freeze leak. Can be hard to find, has the anti freeze level gone down at all when checked cold?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The thing is I never drove it "harder". It happens at low speeds/rpm, randomly. So at the same place (hill), I smell it 2-3 times out of 10.
I can tell it's coming from the vents because the way they're set up (air blows on legs and chest)
Is it possible it is ambient smell? How about next time you smell it, pull over right away and get outside... there is a chance there is just a smell in the air. Who knows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it possible it is ambient smell? How about next time you smell it, pull over right away and get outside... there is a chance there is just a smell in the air. Who knows.
No, because I have the exact smell in so many locations. Not possible. Usually when it happens, I open all the windows to clear the smell.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Still happening?

I do get odd smells but I haven't tried to reproduce it in a controlled environment. I do recall smelling it while hard driving, 4th gear, 4-5kRPM 120-130KM/H. After hard driving, the radiant heat from underneath the car is unreal. I think the exhaust must be damn hot.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Still happening?

I do get odd smells but I haven't tried to reproduce it in a controlled environment. I do recall smelling it while hard driving, 4th gear, 4-5kRPM 120-130KM/H. After hard driving, the radiant heat from underneath the car is unreal. I think the exhaust must be damn hot.
Of course the exhaust is hot. You smell the catalyst(s) to a point and hot metal and hot hoses and a heat soaked engine.
This "mystery" smell of Saptha is starting to sound like a wild goose chase to me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Still happening?

Of course the exhaust is hot. You smell the catalyst(s) to a point and hot metal and hot hoses and a heat soaked engine.
This "mystery" smell of Saptha is starting to sound like a wild goose chase to me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts