Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,
Helena
Community Management

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Will it be as crazy as on kia-forums where password must be 10 characters, with a number, a special symbol, capital letter... and changed every year? In my opinion it is a bit too far for a forum only.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hmm this mean AutoGuide acquired this site too?

PLP, look into LastPass. Makes password management simple.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Hmm this mean AutoGuide acquired this site too?
Yes, they announced it several days ago... I like their management at kia-forums. I even met one guy in person (in Chicago). Generally great team.

PLP, look into LastPass. Makes password management simple.
I will pass. Having an app with all passwords ready for someone to hack into... I would still rather have a memorized passwords mid-strong for forums, strong for email, and very strong for banks.

Reactions: VSAdmin

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes, they announced it several days ago... I like their management at kia-forums. I even met one guy in person (in Chicago). Generally great team.

I will pass. Having an app with all passwords ready for someone to hack into... I would still rather have a memorized passwords mid-strong for forums, strong for email, and very strong for banks.
Autoguide does seem to be better now. I first encountered them on the RAV4 forums and they were up to hijinks like redirecting links to Tirerack that you post to go to their content instead.

You want very strong for email as with that you can reset all the others...

Last Pass premium gives you multifactor authentication that will make it about as secure as can be.

·
Administrator
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,

Thank you for the kind words.

I just want to clarify why we are being so aggressive about these security changes.

A 3rd party plugin that we and other networks use had it's developers' compromised. Their DB was breached and data was scraped.
I can't ID the plugin as it's under legal investigation. However I can say that it had access to user data because it functions separately from the vb software.
Many plugins do this, chats, news letters, mobile apps etc. This is not an active breach, however as a precaution we did initiate security updates including password changes and new pass requirements.

The new passwords change request will ask for 10+ characters, 1 capital letter, 1 lower case, 1 number and 1 special character.
And there will be the some year round change for passwords.

Please keep in mind that there is room for change, we just want to get this sorted out throughout our network first.
Once we have this all sorted we will look into other methods.

Thank you for your patience, and understanding,

Richard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts