Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a hood or hood scoop that I can get and I can not find a single one thats already prefabricated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hood vents is the way to go. Scoops on anything other than old muscle cars and STI's is misplaced (IMO).
While i do agree for the most part, i have seen some that look ok for certain vehicles. I had a viper hood for my vr-4 that dropped the scooped air right on top of the air filter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hell no... if you want a little extra cooling... just pull off the hood seal trim at the base of the windshield

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have one!! ........But it's on my 05 Legacy GT...lol. I'd have to agree...it's hard to make a scoop not look cheesy. I love the way the legacy scoop looks... nice and sleek and functional. Honestly not even really a fan of the STI scoop.. which is one of the reasons I ended up with a Legacy.

Reactions: nouse4aname and PLP

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sweet, my prior car was an 07 Legacy GT Spec B. I agree, I'm not a fan of most hood scoops but liked it on that. Was nice and subtle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would have loved to find a spec B. I had a hard enough time finding a limited. There just aren't many of these in the Midwest. I've actually only seen one legacy this body style since picking up this car 4 months ago. Mine has 17" rotas, tein springs , Cobb AP stage 2 tune, catless nvidia downpipe, STi uppipe and a homemade Catback. IMAG0289_1.jpg

Reactions: CrazyFritter

·
Registered
194 Posts
this is what you need.

IMG_20161010_175151_769.jpg

Word.:p

Can you say A M B I E N T

You guys can get these in CF or FRP and paint to suit your hoods. They are GTR vents/ducts. Use a roto zip,..Be careful. Its actually quite fun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
looking for something like this.
I hope I don't sound mean, but *why* do you want a hood scoop? In an WRX / STi it makes sense as they have a TMIC (Top Mount InterCooler) located beneath that scoop, so it ducts air into / onto it. The F5 SX has a FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) which is mounted near the radiator, so a scoop would not perform the same function. Ok, so perhaps it'd make sense for cooling or ducting to an intake system?

·
Registered
514 Posts
would something like this help vent heat or cool the engine better or is it better to have vented grilled cutouts on the hood?
this scoop is around $130 vs the $800 for the cf hood

3.jpg

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I do not know... look ricey. Or ricery.

I think taking the cover off the engine would be more beneficial. However, it protects the hood from heat from turbo on the other hand. Also, I would rather play with some air intakes or deflectors in the front to get air being pushed through the engine than having opening there.

Finally, I am not sure how efficient a scoop is. It is placed in the are of the hood where the air is in low pressure. I would risk a statement that the scoop would be more like an exhaust than intake seeing so large mouth on the front bumper.
749436_1363515_4800_3207_09C1143_105.jpg

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
people who have the $800 cf hood with the grilled vents say the IAT are lot lower. i want to push more air into the engine but if this car is having heat issues as it is i figure the more air you push the harder the engine works and therefore more heat. i realize there are other options like FMIC upgrade, throttle coolant bypass, oil coolers, oil pan spacer, etc. i really didn't want to spend $800 haha. i think id rather put that towards an FMIC.

·
Registered
514 Posts
wait i just noticed what you said just now PLP so sorry

"I think taking the cover off the engine would be more beneficial. However, it protects the hood from heat from turbo on the other hand."

what do you mean by this? having it off vents off the heat better but having it on traps more of the heat inside the bay or so i thought.

also..
instead of a scoop or intake, i mainly want a vent similar to something like this.
it would be easy and maybe a paintless job of cutting a hole into the stock hood and drill holes for the bolts.
mild sand down around the cut and the piece will fit over the cut marks.
i guess i want to know what disadvantages anyone can think of by doing this.
i will have a cold air intake not sri.
top vent.jpg bottom vent.jpg

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Vent like this would work better IMO.

Regarding the cover.

It plays two roles here. One is sound insulation of the GDI (injectors and high pressure fuel pump).
Second is a heat barrier - I believe.

Look on all the cars that have turbo located on the top of the engine. Turbo produces lots of heat (produces is a wrong word choice - it is rather accumulation from compression and exhaust gases flow). Anyway, all this heat must go somewhere. And heat travels up. When it reaches your hood, under certain conditions it will start baking it. Paint may not take it well. Hence the shield that would slow down the heat flow and would rather dissipate it to the sides as opposed to let it go up as one stream. Sure, our compressors are in the back, so maybe it will not work like that, but it was my chain of thoughts...

Going back to the vent. I think having it like that might even have some aerodynamic influence... so I think. In the positive way - lots of air intake in the front and push them up. That creates down force and less air flow restrictions from the front.

Reactions: 15ForteSX

·
Registered
514 Posts
this might become a future project. it would be nice to track IAT's before and after.
will need to get a cheap gauge setup or something. moneys a bit tight for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts