Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need info on radiator fan/condenser fan - would be good to have someone from KIA service...

Simply put, I want to see when the radiator kicks in - temperature gauge will not budge between 70 deg C and 100 deg C, so I am not sure what is the engine temp.
The way I used to monitor it, I had a LED across pins from the radiator fan relay. Sounds easy. The moment ECU says - we need cooling, relay kicks in, I branch a tiny bit of current to the LED and all done. Click in - LED lit, click out - LED dark.

One would think it is the same here.
Not in SX version... Nope... since it is the variable speed fan, the relay is always active. Despite the call for radiator fan on or not, the relays is "clicked". There is something else that controls it.

Hence, I wanted to ask for help from someone who has access to KGIS and could tell me where to get signal from. It can be +12 V or switching ground.
I doubt fuse would do anything as it is next to the relay.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Since it's variable it probably changes the voltage or current supplied to to change the speed and should also have a feedback loop or pills it from the same circuit to determine speed and so the cycle of read speed, adjust speed to also temp begins.

In short your led method will probably not work

If you want to spend the time try and find the pids for the fans so you can monitor them in torque

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, man.
What I found so far was how the fan is controlled.
And it is modulated signal, cycle lasts 3 ms, and it controls voltage - at, if I recall, 10% load it is 4 V and it goes up all the way to 90% load that is full.
I am thinking of simply going off the motor itself.

Yet, how do you look/search for PIDS? I have never done it...
I have ScanGaugeII and Torque Pro.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts