Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on driving to Reno in December (from SF bay area). Usually around Donner's Pass snow chains are required. I recall reading somewhere that snow chains are not recommended for this vehicle. I believe my last car (G35 ) had a similar warning, but I used chains on occasion without any problems (because they were the thin wire type). Has anybody used snow chains on a Kia with 18 " wheels? Even if not, any feedback will be appreciated. I don't want to mash up the paint or dent the wheel wells. On the other hand I would rather spend money on chains that will last for more than one season, vs renting a car....

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Chains are problematic on cars with low profile tires due to possible damage to the rim.
Also, clearance on the inner part of the wheel (brakes, steering) is a question.

I used to use chains on all of my cars. Nowadays, I just get winter tires and never had a situation I would get stuck. If I need to plow snow with my bumper, it means it is not meant for my car. I had a few situations where I went through anyway thinking "I got chains, nothing will stop me". Well, it did. The body simply hung on the snow and wheels did not have enough grip despite chains. They dug holes and I was done.

So, for your question what brand/type - I would use Y style or X style, that for sure (helps in turns). Then, I would get a 16" rim for front if you are planning on chains.
BUT you must NOT have the mud flaps. If you do, chains will destroy they. The gap between wheel and the wheel well in this very spot is the tightest. I think that was the reason they would not recommend chains.

I have winter tires 205/16x16 on alloy 16" rim from Hyundai. Man, in the right situation the tire rubs on the mud flaps...

·
Registered
1 Posts
im in the same boat - i don't actually think i'll be in a situation where i'll need them for real - but i need to at least show them to the checkpoint ... maybe even use them for some distance ...

i know winter tires are better - but this is for like one trip per year ...
i was looking at the "cable" chain like this :
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain-Company-SZ131-Passenger/dp/B000HZFDP0

they seem to be super low profile ... but yes it would be great if someone has used something similar :)
(16 forte5 sx)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts