Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I was looking up 6th element and saw they had a short ram intake and a cold air intake. I know you got before with cold air for hydro lock in heavy rain but from what I read both are pretty much the same. Just wanted to throw it out to see which is preferred as this is going to be my first mod

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
So far no one reported hydro lock for either. You would have to literally submerge front of the car (above bumper) to get water sucked in at the rate that would create hydro lock.

As for which one is better. If I recall correctly - better performance per dollar spent you get with short arm. Also, it is better to invest in larger pipe. Some say with a tune and other mods 3" pipe is in order. And it makes a difference...

If you like BOV vent sound - go with 6th as in theirs it blows off to the atmosphere. Otherwise, look for other vendors where you can recirculate the air and BOV is not so pronounced.

I honestly did not go with any, as from my tests the car was too loud. It did not produce the nice rumbling noise, nor did it produce turbo spool whistle.
Rumbling would be exhaust, while turbo would be down pipe... and I do not think I want to go so far. :)

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Hey so I was looking up 6th element and saw they had a short ram intake and a cold air intake. I know you got before with cold air for hydro lock in heavy rain but from what I read both are pretty much the same. Just wanted to throw it out to see which is preferred as this is going to be my first mod
As PLP said, you'd have to hit a DEEP puddle pretty hard to hydrolock. You'd have to really try!
I've been thru counltess southern GA heavy rains with no problems. You get almost the same performance out of the short ram and it's less of a hit to the wallet.

Our black friday coupon code still works for 5% off so get that in using the code 'blackfriday' before it gets shut off :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
just some insight in to the hydo lock issue... and ill even show you a photo.. first every one is correct its pretty hard to have this issue in wit the koupe sedan or wagon.. even slammed this would be hard to do. the reason is the filter sit in a mostly sealed box between the tire and the front air dam.. the filter element even sits inline with the center of the wheel hub.. .. so you would need to get in to water deep enough to cover half your wheel.. and let it sit for a wile.. to fill that mostly sealed box and then floor it.. to suck in the water.. nosing in to a deep puddle.. should be no issue.. but I would not be doing any river crossing.. and driving in heavy rain is no issue at all.. your filter will be dry even after 100s of miles driving in the rain.. now for a photo..
20161121_141606.jpg

Reactions: MackDazzle

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You'll have no problem with a CAI. The plastic skid plates underneath the car do a great job of keeping normal puddles from getting sucked up, we are talking feet of water you'd have to drive through to run into a problem. Just a different option but Injen make an intake for the 2nd gen Forte turbos as well. They also offer a optional hydro shield filter if you're really worried about hydro locking

Kia Forte Injen Intake - K5 Optima Store

Injen Intake System Hydroshields - K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have the 6th element CAI on my car and I was also concern about hydro locking but as everyone has said the filter is pretty shielded. I also like the fact that I can run either configuration CAI or SRI. So for my money it was the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I gotta make the hard choice SRI or CA I. They both look close in performance with the SRI slightly better on horse power to the wheel but I also want the sound. Such hard pick. Anyone ever had both and if so what one did you prefer more? Granted this is my first mod in almost 10 years when I had my dodge neon r/t

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
but I also want the sound
What sound are you looking for?

Keep in mind this is TURBO engine. The sound you are going to achieve is nothing more, but a suction... like a big vacuum.
If you want to know the sound, remove the air box cover, disconnect it from the intake (one clamp) and take a short ride. You will hear only suction. No deep rumble like NA engines.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
So you will be happy.
I would, personally, go with SRI. It is much shorter, hence less restrictions. Plus more sound. Also, I would stay with 6th as they did not have the side port for BOV return.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Both qualify for free shipping - I have the CAI from 6EE and I like it. I've run it as a SRI and a CAI and they are both equal as far as they both sound like a jet engine on takeoff when starting the car up. The wife hates it and I love it. :cool: The CAI is a tad quieter driving since the opening of the tube is further out of the engine compartment. I think the CAI is like 2 extra horses? for $44 I'd get the CAI myself. If I may make a suggestion for you to get the Intercooler resonator delete pipe at the same time to save on shipping? It's another $20 but another big bang for the buck mod. It lets exhaust flow a bit freer and your Forte will love it and want to rev all day in 3rd gear. I don't have the 6EE Resonator delete, I have Tork's but the principle is the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts