Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a non picture review. You guys have seen it, you know what it looks like. I'll throw up some pictures if you want, but I don't think they are needed.

First and foremost, the packaging is secure. I was impressed that included in the box, among the actual parts, was a cad drawing of the intake, with a check off list of the parts, signed to make sure they're included. Nice touch.

installation was a little troublesome, not for fitment, but for removal of the stock intake. Now my intake was mostly stock, I had only a cone filter on the stock flex tube. Once I got that, surprisingly heavy, piece off, the installation of the new unit was cake. Everything just fit.

The finish is fantastic. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, but I like it way better than I thought I would. It just matches everything else, like it was meant to be there.

I told myself I was going to save the spectre filter for a rainy day, and just slap on the k & n I already had, but this filter changed my mind, as it has the velocity stack filter cap on it, whereas my k & n does not.

so, once installed, about 30 minutes of ecu disconnected and battery terminal disconnected, I reconnected everything and went for a drive.

The sound is only a tad different from what I had, but noticable. Probably only by me. I've not done any hard pulls yet but I will tell you, drivability went through the roof. The car is so much easier to drive now. This is how I wanted it to be to begin with.

tl;dr Great product, great fitment, will do business again.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
But comparing to OEM setup, how much louder it is?

I removed the plastic "snorkel" leaving an open air box from the front. That made the sound much profound. So, I was wondering what it would be with SRI.

·
Registered
445 Posts
But comparing to OEM setup, how much louder it is?

I removed the plastic "snorkel" leaving an open air box from the front. That made the sound much profound. So, I was wondering what it would be with SRI.
I went from stock airbox and intake tube to the 6th CAI and it it quite a bit louder. On startup , I've had several people look at me cross eyed. The wife hates it when I go WOT as well. On the other hand, I quite enjoy the various sounds of turbo spool, blow off, etc... :cool:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I went from stock airbox and intake tube to the 6th CAI and it it quite a bit louder. On startup , I've had several people look at me cross eyed. The wife hates it when I go WOT as well. On the other hand, I quite enjoy the various sounds of turbo spool, blow off, etc... :cool:
She said if I do not make the blow off quiet again, she will not ride with me.
Hard choice lol

so the blow off line is back to intake.
I had the short "snorkel" removed, so the startup was loud, kind of vacuum cleaner loud, huge sound of vacuum. Did not like it either. So it is back to normal (although due to different issues).

I liked the sound of spool (was much more pronounced)...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is profoundly louder compared to stock. you can start hearing the air sucking well before you even hit positive boost, once you hit positive boost, the tone tends to change a bit.

I have noticed between the 6th intake, and the stock with a cone filter, that the turbo whistle is more pronounced, but I'm a big fan of that. I've heard it echo off the buildings driving around my home town.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i wish there was a way to deaden the sound but still have the flow of a cone filter

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another thing I've noticed tonight, my mpg have gone up by a few. I was averaging 32-33 on my trips to work. tonight, it is sitting around 35.8. If anything, I've been driving a little more agressively

1 - 7 of 7 Posts