Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess the title brings attention... As intended.
It is a question mainly to our Supporting Vendor.
Tork could chime in as well.

So here is the scenario.

Let's assume I got FMIC and lower engine mount from Carbon Engineering.

After a few months I call them back saying they broke and want to return/replace them within warranty period.

They ask to ship parts back and when they receive them, they discover the FMIC looks like it was used for something not really it was designed for. There is a leak between fins, but the plates have some weird damage, like over-pressurized (I am trying to come up with some damage, not obvious physical damage from outside).
The lower mount though, has cracked bolt connecting both ends. Material fatigue, one could say. However, one of the plates covering bushings is not placed as it was from the factory. In addition, one bolt seems to be different. It is shorter.

So.... what would you do?
What do your guts tell you?
Would you blindly say - oh yeah, sure, I will send you 1000 USD worth parts right away, or rather think - dang it, someone was doing something with them. The damage is not expected, the parts were modified and then returned to previous state to cover tracks....

It is in reference to Ceazer warranty claim. And all others who modded and then complained...

I am really curious how one of us who actively alters his car, but also manufacturers parts, would approach claim sent to him.

Link for reference.

http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/9-k...ed-my-repair-voided-warranty-9.html#post20014

·
Registered
580 Posts
In my experience with the vendors I trust and deal with , they ship out new parts or a loner PCM then ask you ship back the bad part . They will usually ask for pictures and a description and also since your payment information is on their file will charge you for the new part if the old part is not returned . 6th and 845 are my primary vendor choices . I do know others like Tork , BTR and SoCal will also replace after a corespondent has been opened . Kdm motors I had to ship the part back but they are a very trusted company . The only ducky thing is you have to ship on your dime but it's to Cali not to Korea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i would say its up to the vendor... if he feels the part was improperly installed or abused i wouldnt assume that he would replace it on his dime... i could see him selling an individual piece maybe i.e. the intercooler itself and no piping which would reduce the cost.. and like play has said in his engine blow up thread.... gotta pay to play...

i would also say it depends on how to approach it... if you send an email in all caps bashing the product you wont get very far... but if you approach it as a civilized human bound for the 30th century that you may also get some head way

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oh I'm paying and I'm playing lmfao !!
If you are in anyway hooking up your ride put it this way . There are no garranties in racing . A few companies stand behind their product and not for the money but the love of the hobbie . I see a lot enter into this car thinking they have a blanket . I for one should have known better . But chances that you tank your car is 50/50 because there are a lot of flaws , but also a lot of upgrades because of the love for the turbo forte . So be smart read learn and watch before you buy. I can tell you a lot of snake oil out there but also a lot of good guys . Learn who is who and see who supports . Be civilized and if you hate a part sell it . Then bitch lmfao !!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would rather hear 6th El. here or Tork than side viewers.

Anyway, as honhon said - it is very subjective and gray area. If I was a vendor and there was a guy who trashed (for whatever reason) a part that was modified or abused, I would be weighting what good will do approving or denying the request.

Same KIA, Ceazar. In their case it is a part worth a couple of thousands of dollars. Will your voice make any difference for them? Not really. I do not know how the case was handled and how you approached them (and I do not want to open a new thread in this matter), but the bottom line is - it was unpleasant experience.
To quote you: A few companies stand behind their product and not for the money but the love of the hobbie.
Exactly. KIA is not really a racing car. Look on their line. Nice looking everyday drivers. Some sporty, but not racing and not prepared to race. Hence, they do not understand the need to mod and the need for speed/power.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i dont think a vendor would have to respond..... in all honesty..... 6th has done somethings to help people and so has the other vendors... and honestly i dont feel i've ever read anything on any website about a warranty... and i don't think ive ever bought an aftermarket part that i worried about a warranty.... A LOT and i mean A LOT of these companies are individual based...

such as when tork went to orlando, their packing/shipping girl was out of the office, so for that week or so tork was essentially shut down, not parts going out etc... someone was bitching over on VT about it... but you have to realize these are individuals trying to make a living by making parts for a vehicle that they enjoy....

they arent a huge conglomerate like Eibach that has a 1 million mile warranty on their lowering springs... im sure if lets say a company that produce an FMIC kit and you were driving regularly or taking a trip or 2 to the drag strip and you heard a clunk and found a bracket broken... maybe a friendly email to them and an explanation with some pictures with some politeness will go a long way...

when i ordered my 845 downpipe i broke a stud before i even got the stock down pipe off... so i put everything together and i emailed 845 about my issue and if they issued returns at all.... they were a little evasive about the actual meat and potatoes of the question, but after a day or 2 of waiting, decided to take my turbo off, bring it to a machine shop, have the broken stud drilled and tapped. I then installed a new stud, then reinstalled my turbo with the 845 downpipe... after that i went ahead and emailed 845 and told them i rectified the issue... their response was good as they didnt have to pursure someone wanting to return a $300 part and their customer was happy... but they also elected to tell me that in the day or 2 sense my initial email they were actually putting feelers out for individuals looking for a downpipe that they could point my direction...

so if it had gone that route... it would have been a win win win situation... they could have kept my money from the initial sale... i could have gotten my money back and another person could have my downpipe because they... on the back end put those feelers out rather than just deleting my email or telling me to pound sand into a diamond.

i was also the person that emailed them and was talking about comparing pictures of many veloster downpipes prior to ordering the downpipe completely knowing that i was chancing it myself it may not fit.

the biggest thing i can say is when 6th made version 2 of his vac block and he started swapping them out for people...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's very nice experience. Yet, those are parts that are made for "racing". Our cars are not (not from the factory). I cannot say if all car manufacturers, but for sure most of them, say that racing will void warranty, same is stated for modifications.

My point was - would a significant modification to some item, that most likely helped to fail it, will not stop the manufacturer from warranting it. And since I did not see these two to chime in, while I am more than sure they read this thread, only confirms me in very subjective, most likely denial, approach to such case.

Honhon, I had great experience with several sellers/manufacturers. And I am glad they are there. We could talk about them forever... but I think we should drop this topic like it is now, nice and such, before it goes on wrong track as it happened with Ceazar's engine failure.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i guess what i am saying is that you probably wont get a response, in a what if case, until the case presents itself to them then you'll get a response more than likely then, but more on a case by case basis and one on one with the individual

its how ive seen all of the modifying car companies work.... essentially it comes down to, we are all buying hand made custom parts every time we click the purchase button and they cant give you a warranty or the promise of the idea of a warranty for that simple fact... they are just too small and are very personal with each product produced that they may be able to identify a specific issue with a certain part that they personally produced.

companies dont like to be blasted or even approach the area of getting possibly blasted... you should check out the response from tork when the guy on vt.org was complaining about parts not shipping out when tork was in orlando.

so all in all to be shorter... you probably wont get a direct response honestly... 6th has seen this thread... he liked my initial post so they are reading, but as a company standpoint they and i would agree with that they handle things on a more personal level.

so i would say if you got a warranty type of question, i would approach them directly or in a personal matter so incase someone turns their car into a rally car and puts a tree through their intercooler, they wont hold a company to the same standard as someone who just daily drives their car and likes to tinker with it

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i would say if you got a warranty type of question, i would approach them directly or in a personal matter so incase someone turns their car into a rally car and puts a tree through their intercooler, they wont hold a company to the same standard as someone who just daily drives their car and likes to tinker with it
It was hypothetical question. More like "what if".
I wanted to hear guys who are closer to us, folks who like to mod their cars, how would they handle warranty claims of their parts that were modified. I wanted to use this thread as an example, or contrast for all blames on KIA when they refuse warranty repair due to engine mods.
And there is nothing personal in it. I mod the car, too. Only to some extent as I have other priorities now. Plus, I do not want to mess up with KIA...

Of course it (decision) is personal, subjective, and case by case basis. I guess, no clear response is a confirmation that this is a very gray area where one might be lucky, another not so much.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hahahaha wait until you see Kia sees you did something small like remove a part and the color came off . I've gotten a lot of good and bad feedback over this but when it came down to it . I was not voided for aftermarket parts . I was voided because I broke a hose and used a different hose that was not a Kia factory part . Now as to the vendors . I personally made claim and they gave me new parts as like my 6th intake once I contacted them with full discriptions and pictures . 845 . Not a vendor on here has shipped out replacement parts to us here in PA New York and jersey . Tork I know has worked on issues with their customers pcm's and shipped loaners out to assure their cars still ran as they worked . So I'm not sure as to why this there's even exists .sounds more like you had an issue not resolved . As for me . What happened I can guide some one not to go down the same road and assure you what ever you'd I to your car will void the warranty if something brakes . They goes as far as telling you you can reclaim it if you use Kia factory parts and have an ASE mech put them on after a corporate review .Bs for sure .

·
Registered
524 Posts
An interesting case of this is the uncle chip offered by the K5 store. They outright state that it will not void warranty and is undetectable by a dealership. Opening themselves up to a lawsuit with that claim if they won't step in and replace an engine if Kia won't do it due to the chip.
K5 Optima Store - (NEW) LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune

1 - 11 of 11 Posts