Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stage 0 tunes are pretty much ready for purchase! While this tune is most beneficial to stock Fortes or if you have just an intake, those with more power adders can get the same power results :)

These changes just aren't as aggressive as our stage 1 or 2 that have more changes to account for the extra airflow of intercoolers, downpipes, etc.

Stage 0 is on the website now, and I will be tweaking this page over the next couple days with the finer details.

- If anyone has any questions on the process, please email or post up here.
- If anyone feels like road tripping to Greenville, SC where we use a dyno, we can do custom tuning there for $495, normally priced at $599. Just email to make an appointment. We can squeeze out a little more power for you this way.

Stage 0 tunes will get you a minimum guaranteed +15whp and +15wtq. All customers on the dyno are getting a min of 19+.
Results will vary slightly depending on elevation and location, but you will definitely feel all the extra power, as well as the other benefits like a more responsive throttle, mileage improvement, etc.

Link to site:

Stage 0 Tune (Kia Forte SX 2014-2016)

Dyno results from customers:

Manual

Automatic

Stage 1 will be on the website by 9/17, which has more changes to take advantage of intake side breathing mods like intakes, throttle bodies, intercooler pipes and bigger intercoolers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If I send you another ECU can you copy my existing ECU onto that other one? Then I'd have 2 ECU's, one stock and the other with a copy of my cars ECU, but better because it will be tuned?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Why don't you simply put tune on the other to keep your stock completely stock (untouched) in case there is some serial number in cars memory...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I see your point, but if I buy an ECU from a guy that says its a 2015 SX A/T part number 39106-2B751 will it be exactly the same as the one on my car?

It's weird Pence Auto says that ECM is for a 2015 Koup and AC Autoparts says ECM - 2015 KIA FORTE5 391062B732 is for my car. But here's the ECU that's in my car right now from the factory...

2015 Forte - ECU.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I send you another ECU can you copy my existing ECU onto that other one? Then I'd have 2 ECU's, one stock and the other with a copy of my cars ECU, but better because it will be tuned?
I have to have your original ECU and the new ECU at the same time.

I have to make a back-up of your original ECU, then I have to copy the VIN info (EEPROM) and put it on the new ECU so things like you keyless entry, alarm, etc work like normal.
Then I'll put the tune on the new ECU, and ship both back to you. You install what ECU you want after you get them back :)

Why don't you simply put tune on the other to keep your stock completely stock (untouched) in case there is some serial number in cars memory...
I have to make a back-up of their stock one if they ever want to change it back for any reason. If I write over anything without making a backup first, the original stuff is gone forever.
Also, if I get a new ECU for someone, it comes with facotry maps, but obviously no VIN info. If you were to install a new ECU out of the box into a car, you have a Check Engine Light that says VIN Info missing. Only way to not have that CEL is to write the VIN info from the car to the new one....

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have to make a back-up of their stock one if they ever want to change it back for any reason. If I write over anything without making a backup first, the original stuff is gone forever.
Also, if I get a new ECU for someone, it comes with facotry maps, but obviously no VIN info. If you were to install a new ECU out of the box into a car, you have a Check Engine Light that says VIN Info missing. Only way to not have that CEL is to write the VIN info from the car to the new one....
I get it. That's what I meant. Copy from original and do not touch no matter what. Tune put on the replacement...

Since we are here - if I had only one ECU, how would you store the stock tune? Is it something I would have to keep saved somewhere? Is it one image file or a bunch of them?

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get it. That's what I meant. Copy from original and do not touch no matter what. Tune put on the replacement...

Since we are here - if I had only one ECU, how would you store the stock tune? Is it something I would have to keep saved somewhere? Is it one image file or a bunch of them?
The hardware I use pulls the EPROM info (VIN#,immobilizer,alarm,etc) and all of the "maps" via a "back-up" command. After I click this button, it saves all that information into 3 different files. I save that for every customer, in case they get a new ECU or want to return their original back to stock settings.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
it saves all that information into 3 different files. I save that for every customer,
You keep it or I keep it, or we both do?

As for the tune itself.
Your website shows a different dyno run and different curves...

The main question is - will I really feel a difference in everyday driving? In other words on my regular city commute - will the car feel different?
When looking on the curves I notice the power and torque is below stock until 3400 rpm. That is due to overlay or different time you went WOT, right?

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You keep it or I keep it, or we both do?

As for the tune itself.
Your website shows a different dyno run and different curves...

The main question is - will I really feel a difference in everyday driving? In other words on my regular city commute - will the car feel different?
When looking on the curves I notice the power and torque is below stock until 3400 rpm. That is due to overlay or different time you went WOT, right?
We keep the files, no reason for you to have them because if you had them you can't do anything with them unless you have the same flashing hardware we do.

We do bump up daily driving/part throttle settings a little bit. You'll notice the car has a little more pep with normal everyday driving.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I rather thought keeping copy of the files in case your copy got misplaced or corrupted... I would not even know what to do with them. lol

As for the tune.
The problem I am getting to is as follows:
when you put 1st gear and start releasing the clutch, add some gas, the car starts moving and then suddenly the ECU drops power. There is something with more power/engine speed when touched the gas when stationery vs rolling.
As a result, the car makes jump. Kind of like jerking clutch or improper clutch engaging.

Dealer seems to be clueless. I hear "that's the way it is".

Did you ever experience that? And would the tune fix it?

Reactions: mr_sippi_forte

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rather thought keeping copy of the files in case your copy got misplaced or corrupted... I would not even know what to do with them. lol

As for the tune.
The problem I am getting to is as follows:
when you put 1st gear and start releasing the clutch, add some gas, the car starts moving and then suddenly the ECU drops power. There is something with more power/engine speed when touched the gas when stationery vs rolling.
As a result, the car makes jump. Kind of like jerking clutch or improper clutch engaging.

Dealer seems to be clueless. I hear "that's the way it is".

Did you ever experience that? And would the tune fix it?
We use a cloud service for all of our file storage. No worries unless a VERY BIG company's servers get destroyed lol.

A tune will not fix this problem you are having. For everyday driving, I take the factory settings and scale them up slightly, and adjust the throttle control map to make it smoother and come on a little sooner.
If you got a tune and your problem went away, it would be pure coincidence.

The way you take off in 1st in a manual car has a lot to do with the way you modulate the pedals. I could make the car jerk violently every time I started from a stop if I wanted to.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Once you do the tune on our cars and say I take it to the dealer for a code scan or whatever does it scan the same or would the dealer have trouble with the different program on the computer?

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what they are scanning for exactly. We replace the "maps file" that make the car run the way it does. That doesn't have anything to do with the CEL codes as far as i know...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know what they are scanning for exactly. We replace the "maps file" that make the car run the way it does. That doesn't have anything to do with the CEL codes as far as i know...
ok thanks much I was just talking to my kia mechanic and he said he didn't think that they would be able to tell. So it wouldn't matter if I blew it up or something. I'm not thinking of running a tune until next year but by then the car will have prolly 30k and that's what I'm worried about. But thanks for the follow up

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've seen several posts where the ECU has been tuned and the driver takes it to KIA for service and the KIA dealer was able to tell that the ECU was altered. I'd be nervous about going in to the dealer with a tuned ECU myself. Which is why if / when I do get a tune it will be on a backup ECU.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is good news! Interested in stage 1 when it's available. W my mods I'm in need of a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've seen several posts where the ECU has been tuned and the driver takes it to KIA for service and the KIA dealer was able to tell that the ECU was altered. I'd be nervous about going in to the dealer with a tuned ECU myself. Which is why if / when I do get a tune it will be on a backup ECU.
Can you post links? I'd like to read them thru. Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Can you post links? I'd like to read them thru. Thanks!
Hmm, after some searching I can't find the exact threads I am thinking of, so I may in fact be full of shit. :D My google searches of "TPMS ecu flash" or any combination doesn't yield the results I was expecting. I do see plenty of results from various sites about tunes voiding the warranty, but none of the threads that my old brain 'remembers'.

That said, what about start cycles not being recorded?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Hmm, after some searching I can't find the exact threads I am thinking of, so I may in fact be full of shit.
Nope, you are correct.
I also recall a thread where someone (and I do not recall if it was a tech or a user) claimed during code scanning KIA discovered ECU was altered...

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know how the dealer can tell the code has been altered. Next time I go to mine, I'll ask around and see what they say.

I can say from experience, if they have to see if the ECU has been messed with (blown motors on other cars I've owned) the dealer will ship the ECU to main headquarters for evaluation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts