Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
StingerForums.com - The Largest Kia Stinger Forum And Community!

Kia unveiled the new Stinger sport sedan at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show and it ushered in a new era for the Korean automaker.

Targeting a whole new tier of performance and luxury, the Stinger has a lot going for it. Under the hood, two engines are being offered: a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that makes 255 hp or an awesome twin-turbo 3.3-liter V6 engine that will make 365 hp. With a zero-to-62-mph time of about 5 seconds, it’s easy to see why people are getting so excited.

We had a chance to speak with two important figures at Kia: Peter Schreyer, the brand’s chief designer, who oversaw the design of the Stinger, and Albert Beirmann, executive VP of vehicle testing and high-performance development at Kia Motors. Both shared details about the Stinger, its development, and its place in the Kia lineup.
Read more about the 5 Things We Learned About the 2018 Kia Stinger at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Maybe it is quick, maybe it is powerful, but it looks bulky and heavy.
It makes a nice limousine, but not really a racing car despite its specs.

Not to mention those hood vents. C'mon...

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I love the overall look of the Stinger, they freaking hit the nail on the head with this car! Looking at the Cadenza and K900 I can see their ideas and vision but they did not hit a home run with either. I think the Stinger is going to do really well for itself and KIA.

Maybe it is quick, maybe it is powerful, but it looks bulky and heavy.
It makes a nice limousine, but not really a racing car despite its specs.

Not to mention those hood vents. C'mon...
I don't think KIA's intent was to be a "racing car". If you follow the list of competitor vehicles they compare it to you're looking at more of a luxury sports sedan. All equipped with "fast" motors but still practical. Check the link below:

Kia Stinger Reviews - Kia Stinger Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

If they were comparing it to an M3, an S4, F-Type, ect. then I could understand your argument but i think you're miss-classifying the whole idea of the Stinger.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love the overall look of the Stinger, they freaking hit the nail on the head with this car! Looking at the Cadenza and K900 I can see their ideas and vision but they did not hit a home run with either. I think the Stinger is going to do really well for itself and KIA.

I don't think KIA's intent was to be a "racing car". If you follow the list of competitor vehicles they compare it to you're looking at more of a luxury sports sedan. All equipped with "fast" motors but still practical. Check the link below:

Kia Stinger Reviews - Kia Stinger Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

If they were comparing it to an M3, an S4, F-Type, ect. then I could understand your argument but i think you're miss-classifying the whole idea of the Stinger.
I agree that they were aiming higher up with the comparison, but it saddens me, as it will probably put it outside my willing price range.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wish I could disagree. The Hyundai genesis luxury was about 42 I think. I wanna say it was v8?

I'll honestly be surprised if the turbo 6 is under 30 in any shape or form

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I don't think Kia/Hyundai are outfitting their cars with a new TT V6 just to give their customer a discount; the more plausible explanation is that they're trying to reduce fuel consumption and possibly retiring that Tau V8. If anything, they will probably uncharge for the new turbo engine touting new cutting edge technology.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Nissan's new G/Q cars also sporting a new 3.3litre V6TT? I think that's the directions the industry is going. I am not too intimate with the Genesis 3.8 V6 but having the reduced displacement and throwing turbos on there, I'm guessing they will get pretty good gas mileage and still up the torque number which is all good.

That said, I've always liked the idea of a big V6 engine in a hot hatch but I can only name one off the top of my head that had a V6, the VR6 and the Renault Sports Clio or something that had the mid engine V6 and drove the rear wheels too. That shit is hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts