Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a step by step with pics on a 2nd cat delete?? After my 6th EE FMIC I feel like this is my next step...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
downpipe. 2nd cat delete would be cheaper though. i just had someone do it for me that had the material and a welder

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Downpipe is on my list but for now I'm thinking delete or gut my 2nd cat is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
I spent 40 bucks to get a local shop to cut off the 2nd cat and stock resonator and weld on a straight pipe. Cheap and quick. Even has a nice tone at full throttle and some bass below 2k but no reverb or drone.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
no real write up on a 2nd cat delete and i wouldnt want to give the EPA photographic evidence.

But there are 2 bolts at the flex pipe... take those off, then there are 2 bolts on the over axle portion... there is a hanger just before the curve in the exhaust. take that off and the mid pipe will come off...

then take the longest screw driver you got and start hammering it into the honeycomb stuff and then start using the screw driver as a chizel and start getting everything that is honeycomb out of the pipe... you'll have to shake the exhaust pipe every so often to get the loose particles out.

the honeycomb stuff is encased in a fiberglass layer so once you get to a certain point it'll all come out pretty easily... just have to break the chunks up enough to get them to come out of the piping.

rebolt it back on and put it on the hanger and your set to go.

Reactions: bryanwolfe5

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you call around you can probably find a local shop to make an entire midpipe for around $100.
The stock midpipe is like $1,200 which makes me want to gut my cat even less.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if the stock midpipe is 1200$, 1000$ of that is probably for the cat

·
Registered
170 Posts
I spent 40 bucks to get a local shop to cut off the 2nd cat and stock resonator and weld on a straight pipe. Cheap and quick. Even has a nice tone at full throttle and some bass below 2k but no reverb or drone.
Any way you could get video or sound of it? I've been debating this but was worried about a droning

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Any way you could get video or sound of it? I've been debating this but was worried about a droning

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
the drone don't get annoying till you're strait piped. my wife has learned to live with it. my son likes a loud exhaust "race car". my daughter is a baby and the drone seems to calm her down. and i get gains so i call that a win for the family!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
with a catless downpipe and a gutted rear cat, my car is no louder than stock imo.

obviously the suitcase muffler has a lot to do with that....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes........

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have my 2nd cat and res removed. Took out the whole mid section and had a pipe made in its place ( test pipe ) . My next thing is to remove the muffler.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
How noisy will it be?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
with no mufflers at all? like a straight pipe?
depends what you like, some would be fine, I would not. There is no number, but will be noticeable. Especially on long highway runs and WOT.

·
Registered
981 Posts
How noisy will it be?
Don't think of it as a Honda with a straight pipe, the first cat that is in the stock down pipe actually calms down the exhaust a good amount. Plus even the size of the stock piping on the car helps keep the tone lower.

It will have some bark to it (not Yorkie but more Shepard lol) and with the tips out the back drone isn't bad. Now adding a new down pipe will call for adding a resonator and or muffler or the neighbors will be upset.

Reactions: 2014:1.6lT
1 - 20 of 32 Posts