Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Elantra GT Sport differs from Elantra GT.
Sport is 1.6T, while plain old GT is 2.0 NA - just like it used to be before.

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Specifications

So Sport is indeed upgraded rear suspension of Forte, while GT still has the torsion beam.

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
458 Posts
Albert Biermann said NA won't be getting the i30n but will get our own 'n' treatment and speculation is widely saying it will be the Veloster Turbo. In some regions like Australia they have the VT SR which comes with a bit more than the NA VT; I guess it's their version of the R-Spec or Rally edition which amount to just different rims and useless badges you can get off of eBay.

All that said, the new VT N will likely share a lot of DNA with the i30N and we all know the important bit is the engine and suspensions w/ LSD. I can see where Hyundai/Kia are placing themselves to be competitors to the established boys but at the same time they are treading lightly by offering tiers where VW leaves a void. The VT/Forte SX/Elantra Sport are kind of slotted under the GTI but above their plain Jane Golf offerings. It's them saying, you can get a little performance for the price of a regular Golf but to get a GTI contender, you will pay GTI money but you get more power from us hence why they are leading that value for money charge every time someone tries to justify a 'Korean' over the other guys.

Personally, the new Elantra GT or Elantra Sport was long over due but again, I see their strategy and decision to wait for the refresh of the Elantra hatchback. If they're giving more cars the N treatment, it can only be good for enthusiasts. At this point, the only thing I would trade in my Forte5 for is an AWD variant. Either I drive this thing into the ground and get a used Golf R / Subaru STI or get somewhat of a reasonable trade in at their own dealership.

EDIT: Just looked at the specs and it's pretty impressive.

Sport (Manual and Dual Clutch Transmission available):

Includes GLS equipment plus:

+1.6L T-GDI 4-cylinder engine
+6-speed manual transmission
+Multilink Independent Rear Suspension
+16” Front disc brakes
+15” Rear disc brakes
+Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) w/ Auto Hold
+PTC Heater
+18” alloy wheels
+Full LED headlights
+LED taillights
+Alloy pedals inc. foot rest
+Leather seating surfaces
+Power driver’s seat w/ lumbar
+Sliding armrest
+Rear console ventilation duct
+Wireless charging pad

Sport DCT Ultimate:

Includes Sport equipment plus:

+Forward Collision Warning +Autonomous Emergency Braking+ Adaptive Cruise Control +Lane Departure Warning System
+Lane Keep Assist System + Attention Assist
+8” Display with Navigation and BlueLink +Android Auto & Apple CarPlay
+Infinity 7-Speaker Audio System + Amp
+4.2” TFT display (Super Vision)
+Ventilated front seats
+Auto-dimming rear-view mirror w/ HomeLink & compass
Particularly their high-beam assist. It's nice on paper but let's see how well it performs. Up until now, you could only get high-beam assists on German luxomobiles. I wonder if it will contour like the BMWs/Mercs but I doubt it; those use lasers. These will just be a on-off function, in all likelihood.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elantra GT Sport differs from Elantra GT.
Sport is 1.6T, while plain old GT is 2.0 NA - just like it used to be before.

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Specifications

So Sport is indeed upgraded rear suspension of Forte, while GT still has the torsion beam.
Thanks for clarifying... I know that the new VT will be from the me i30 platform but I don't even realize the new GT Sport was going to look more like F5 SX than the non sport GT! I'm assuming that was just recently announced with photos so tight I would stay a discussion on it, pretty interesting!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Albert Biermann said NA won't be getting the i30n but will get our own 'n' treatment and speculation is widely saying it will be the Veloster Turbo. In some regions like Australia they have the VT SR which comes with a bit more than the NA VT; I guess it's their version of the R-Spec or Rally edition which amount to just different rims and useless badges you can get off of eBay.

All that said, the new VT N will likely share a lot of DNA with the i30N and we all know the important bit is the engine and suspensions w/ LSD. I can see where Hyundai/Kia are placing themselves to be competitors to the established boys but at the same time they are treading lightly by offering tiers where VW leaves a void. The VT/Forte SX/Elantra Sport are kind of slotted under the GTI but above their plain Jane Golf offerings. It's them saying, you can get a little performance for the price of a regular Golf but to get a GTI contender, you will pay GTI money but you get more power from us hence why they are leading that value for money charge every time someone tries to justify a 'Korean' over the other guys.

Personally, the new Elantra GT or Elantra Sport was long over due but again, I see their strategy and decision to wait for the refresh of the Elantra hatchback. If they're giving more cars the N treatment, it can only be good for enthusiasts. At this point, the only thing I would trade in my Forte5 for is an AWD variant. Either I drive this thing into the ground and get a used Golf R / Subaru STI or get somewhat of a reasonable trade in at their own dealership.

EDIT: Just looked at the specs and it's pretty impressive.

Particularly their high-beam assist. It's nice on paper but let's see how well it performs. Up until now, you could only get high-beam assists on German luxomobiles. I wonder if it will contour like the BMWs/Mercs but I doubt it; those use lasers. These will just be a on-off function, in all likelihood.
So this also has me wonder what the future of the F5 SX is with these Hyundai moves.. Since Kia pushed it more upscale with the cheapest models having automatic and leather with stick requiring even more goodies to get, they could be prepping it to be the full five door for the new platform after the VT... But man, does that new sport model sound pretty loaded for the money.. I'm still wondering why the release the exact same HP/TQ figures and the Gamma after all these years, they could at least update it's tune for fuel economy/power adjustments and rate them for both regular and premium fuel looks ford does...

·
Registered
827 Posts
The handling of the GT is still going to be milque-toast at this spec and price point. Even with their Audi-wagon looks, at this price point the Kias and Hyundais aren't moving Subaru or VW or the teen-beet Focus GT out of the ring. They are all about value and pricing.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
We used to have Veloster Turbo R-spec... it was offered for a few seasons.
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec Overview Release

So that is nothing new.

Even with their Audi-wagon looks, at this price point the Kias and Hyundais aren't moving Subaru or VW or the teen-beet Focus GT out of the ring. They are all about value and pricing.
And the value/pricing must come from somewhere... hence the weaker/smaller engine, worse handling, and such. The "N" versions would be probably like GTI with sticker price close to GTI making the idea only so so. I doubt Hyundai will pull customers away from GTI using their i30n (or whatever that would be here, if any).

And lets face it - hatchback in US? Canadians are better in this segment. Much better. USA - not so much. SUV, van, truck - those are that sell here. Hatchback? Nope, not really...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Making a good handling car isn't rocket science or may be it is but if we can put a man on the moon, I'm confident the engineers at Kia/Hyundai can tackle this feat with aplomb. That said, every new car they come out with purports to be one step closer to the 'competition' yet fall flat when the reviewers get their hands on it. Is it by design that they're holding back? Will the same be true for the 130n or Veloster Turbo n? They just don't seem to want to make it as good or better just so they can keep their prices lower than the other guys. i.e non-performance brakes on the i30n, just bigger brakes from another car.

The new Stinger is hailed as the second coming of Christ for them. Will it perform as good as a BMW 3 series? I know they're sure as hell aren't going to price it at par but keep it probably just a hair under and even that proposition is hard to sell; imagine pricing it at par. People would laugh at them. They really need to bring sure fire whatever-killer to cement their place. I have high hopes for the 130n but I'm not holding my breath. If they can make it as good or perform better than the GTI PP, I'm sure it will sway a few buyers away from Deutchland.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So this also has me wonder what the future of the F5 SX is with these Hyundai moves.. Since Kia pushed it more upscale with the cheapest models having automatic and leather with stick requiring even more goodies to get, they could be prepping it to be the full five door for the new platform after the VT... But man, does that new sport model sound pretty loaded for the money.. I'm still wondering why the release the exact same HP/TQ figures and the Gamma after all these years, they could at least update it's tune for fuel economy/power adjustments and rate them for both regular and premium fuel looks ford does...

The Forte5 will be a safe bet to get the N treatment if Kia decides to do it at all but I read only Hyundai will get that at this point. Regarding the stagnation of power, VW, Subaru, et al did it for years. How long has the STI had just 301HP? VW's has had 200hp for the longest time. They've only recently bumped it (on paper). I like that Biermann made their 'first hot hatch' with 250HP+. When they release the AWD version it will likely be close to A45 AMG numbers rather than Focus RS.

400HP AWD out of the box for them. I don't care what kind of petrol head you are, 400HP is still 400HP.

LOL

MotoMan does a good review of the Elantra GT.

II don't mean to come across as a 'hater' but I have some reservations when I see people say they prefer an Elantra over a Golf. If money were the same, would you really prefer a Korean Elantra over a German Golf? I suppose you could say I'm still drinking the VW kool-aid. It looks nice though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Making a good handling car isn't rocket science or may be it is but if we can put a man on the moon, I'm confident the engineers at Kia/Hyundai can tackle this feat with aplomb.

2014Forte5 - the engineering to put a man on the moon is not related to marketing and engineering in the automotive sector. These South Korean parent companies make affordable cars. VW has years and years of Audi & Porsche technology to work with and borrow and massive global industrial capacities.

Will it perform as good as a BMW 3 series? If they can make it as good or perform better than the GTI PP, I'm sure it will sway a few buyers away from Deutchland.
Before Kia/Hyundai offers cars that pull people away from "German Prestige" (Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc) - they'll need to up their global presence. The name Kia isn't synonymous with financial achievement and social status, Porsches racing legacy, Mercedes Benz status, BMW image etc. Keep things in perspective.

The Stinger (that name could KILL sales) and the comparison to M3? Wait for a few road tests reports.............

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
II don't mean to come across as a 'hater' but I have some reservations when I see people say they prefer an Elantra over a Golf. If money were the same, would you really prefer a Korean Elantra over a German Golf? I suppose you could say I'm still drinking the VW kool-aid. It looks nice though.
VW forum bashed me when I announced I will go with KIA anyway...

March 2016, I learnt husband of my friend from work was getting rid of his GTI (2013 Autobahn - so some bells and whistles, 6-MT). At the same time my other friend was looking for a decent car for low money. I had 2009 Elantra (MT as well). I saw an opportunity and tried to make a deal.
I shopped around to discover Forte Turbo... and I got a deal on used, 2015 F5.

So I was debating - GTI or Forte.
GTI was 18k plus taxes and such (it was lease buy out, so no negotiation), that would make it about 19.5k OTD. No warranty, about 10k miles more than Forte. Smaller inside, smaller trunk. Power plant - well, on paper almost same. Forte, though, was 15.5 OTD. Still 3.5 years of full warranty. Forte had tail LED (I like them), while GTI had front bixenon (loved them too!).
Hence a question. Would I pay extra 4k for older GTI without warranty, or go for Forte with warranty?
You know the answer now. More important was the warranty plus extra 4 grand in my pocket.

I must admit - at that time I was much tighter on budget. Now, if it was happening today, I would get GTI.

So YES, it is money question. And face it - when I say I drive GTI - everyone know what it is. When I say - I drive Forte, folks are like - oh, I see... wait, what is it? On the other hand - I like the element of surprise with acceleration in this car. Those slow, cheap KIAs beat up some others.

In the end - again, if money same - I go for GTI.
So if I had a choice of Elantra GT Sport, "n" - or not, even better specs than GTI (say 240 hp Elantra vs 220 hp GTI), but same price - I'd go for GTI. I know GTI can make easily 260, 280 HP.

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
458 Posts
Before Kia/Hyundai offers cars that pull people away from "German Prestige" (Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc) - they'll need to up their global presence. The name Kia isn't synonymous with financial achievement and social status, Porsches racing legacy, Mercedes Benz status, BMW image etc. Keep things in perspective.

The Stinger (that name could KILL sales) and the comparison to M3? Wait for a few road tests reports.............
I meant the Stinger as the direct competitor to the 3 Series. I don't think anyone mentioned M3 with the Stinger in the same breath. Not that I've seen anyway.

You're right though. When ever someone needs suggestions of a sporty utility car, the name GTI comes to mind. That's why you see more people drive DSGs than the 6MT. I'm putting my own money on a bet to say most of them DSG drivers don't know how to shift their own gears.

No idea if the Koreans can fast track their lack of motorsport pedigree but they did field a couple of i30Ns in the Nurburgring endurance races this year. And their WRC presence as well so it's a start.

·
Registered
458 Posts
VW forum bashed me when I announced I will go with KIA anyway...

March 2016, I learnt husband of my friend from work was getting rid of his GTI (2013 Autobahn - so some bells and whistles, 6-MT). At the same time my other friend was looking for a decent car for low money. I had 2009 Elantra (MT as well). I saw an opportunity and tried to make a deal.
I shopped around to discover Forte Turbo... and I got a deal on used, 2015 F5.

So I was debating - GTI or Forte.
GTI was 18k plus taxes and such (it was lease buy out, so no negotiation), that would make it about 19.5k OTD. No warranty, about 10k miles more than Forte. Smaller inside, smaller trunk. Power plant - well, on paper almost same. Forte, though, was 15.5 OTD. Still 3.5 years of full warranty. Forte had tail LED (I like them), while GTI had front bixenon (loved them too!).
Hence a question. Would I pay extra 4k for older GTI without warranty, or go for Forte with warranty?
You know the answer now. More important was the warranty plus extra 4 grand in my pocket.

I must admit - at that time I was much tighter on budget. Now, if it was happening today, I would get GTI.

So YES, it is money question. And face it - when I say I drive GTI - everyone know what it is. When I say - I drive Forte, folks are like - oh, I see... wait, what is it? On the other hand - I like the element of surprise with acceleration in this car. Those slow, cheap KIAs beat up some others.

In the end - again, if money same - I go for GTI.
So if I had a choice of Elantra GT Sport, "n" - or not, even better specs than GTI (say 240 hp Elantra vs 220 hp GTI), but same price - I'd go for GTI. I know GTI can make easily 260, 280 HP.
Anyone who isn't tight on budget will not be looking at the Korean alternative. If you can afford and prefer to eat a steak would you get a burger instead? Horses for courses, of course but I'm not so much into the element of surprise.

Hypothetically speaking, if I hit the lotto and I already have the Forte as I do now, I'd still park it next to my Aventador and 918, CGT, Ford GT, et cetera. Honestly, I would. Since that won't be happening anytime soon, I still pine for a Golf R. 0-60 in a scant 4.xx seconds is freaking hilarious and wouldn't get old.

When I was shopping for a car, I casted a wide net. I even looked at the Nismo Juke. The GTI was the benchmark but just didn't make a lot of sense to me financially compared to the Forte at the time. I honestly thought 200HP was 200HP. Now that I'm learning and putting more money into the Forte, I understand it's not all at par. If I can get decent return on the Forte for a Golf R, I would. It's still the plan moving forward but I won't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The better comparison is to the base 1.8T Golf. That's what my decision came down to. A new base 2 door Golf at $16,700 or a new Forte5 SX at $17.900. So I paid more for the Korean prestige? Far more performance potential in the Golf. I could afford much more, but I cap myself at $25k for any car purchase and ~200hp in a hatchback with a stick is my sweet spot.

What turned me to the Kia was my prior experience with a '10 GTI that was at the dealer all too often for silly little issues and all the creature comforts the SX had standard over a base Golf. Some regrets there, mostly the depreciation. But I am happy that the Forte has only needed oil changes so far.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The handling of the GT is still going to be milque-toast at this spec and price point. Even with their Audi-wagon looks, at this price point the Kias and Hyundais aren't moving Subaru or VW or the teen-beet Focus GT out of the ring. They are all about value and pricing.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there, it's not just the independent rear but also other suspension tweaks as well and a new review seems pretty impressed:
First drive: 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport [Review] - LeftLaneNews

It may be no Euro handling car, but maybe advance them past econobox status... i'm personally pretty disappointed with so much weird bumps and such at highway speed, it's like I can literally feel the exact road texture in the floor boards, especially taking a sweeping corner at highway speed it feels bad, almost Geo Metro bad, super disappointing...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Making a good handling car isn't rocket science or may be it is but if we can put a man on the moon, I'm confident the engineers at Kia/Hyundai can tackle this feat with aplomb. That said, every new car they come out with purports to be one step closer to the 'competition' yet fall flat when the reviewers get their hands on it. Is it by design that they're holding back? Will the same be true for the 130n or Veloster Turbo n? They just don't seem to want to make it as good or better just so they can keep their prices lower than the other guys. i.e non-performance brakes on the i30n, just bigger brakes from another car.

The new Stinger is hailed as the second coming of Christ for them. Will it perform as good as a BMW 3 series? I know they're sure as hell aren't going to price it at par but keep it probably just a hair under and even that proposition is hard to sell; imagine pricing it at par. People would laugh at them. They really need to bring sure fire whatever-killer to cement their place. I have high hopes for the 130n but I'm not holding my breath. If they can make it as good or perform better than the GTI PP, I'm sure it will sway a few buyers away from Deutchland.
The Stinger is definitely not a 3 series/A4 competitor, for some reason that is falsely spread as the comparable size when it's actually bigger, it's actually more like a budget A5 sportback... and the difference is Kia DOES put much more sophisticated and smooth suspensions in their upper-end models as well as the fact the Stinger is the first one completely former German brand designed from the ground up, not just the styling... I think it will be incredibly capable but unfortunately you're talking brand (name) snobs are the norm once you go over $30k, "Still just a Kia"... like they don't want cars to get better in general? Incredibly shallow!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Forte5 will be a safe bet to get the N treatment if Kia decides to do it at all but I read only Hyundai will get that at this point. Regarding the stagnation of power, VW, Subaru, et al did it for years. How long has the STI had just 301HP? VW's has had 200hp for the longest time. They've only recently bumped it (on paper). I like that Biermann made their 'first hot hatch' with 250HP+. When they release the AWD version it will likely be close to A45 AMG numbers rather than Focus RS.

400HP AWD out of the box for them. I don't care what kind of petrol head you are, 400HP is still 400HP.

LOL

MotoMan does a good review of the Elantra GT.

I'm with you on the pricing, I'll take a VW any day over a Korean brand *at the same price point*... And honestly the Korean car will probably even be more reliable but the Euro handling is nothing to sneeze at, all of us who had German cars know the difference... In fact i'm flat out disgusted how my F5 SX feels like a Geo Metro in the road noise/road feel once you hit highway speeds... I can literally feel the exact texture of the road in the floorboards when I take a sweeping corner at highway speeds and is just plain rough going straight too... I suppose that's why I'm so curious how Hyundai has improved on the suspension, here's another good review too: First drive: 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport [Review] - LeftLaneNews

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
From the Left Lane News review RE: handling... Sounds better than our F5 SX for sure, definitely can NOT say these things about ours, and sounds like regardless of independent rear suspension they obviously tweaked the front and steering as well:

"Our first impression of the Elantra GT Sport was that of a sure-footed vehicle with plenty of zip. On the winding roads around San Diego the Elantra GT Sport felt very much like a sporty European hatchback, exhibiting the kind of athleticism we're not used to seeing from Hyundai. Steering was equally impressive, combining good weight with a responsive rack.

The Elantra GT Sport's chassis feels rock solid, giving you the kind of confidence you need to chuck it through the twisties. What little body lean is there seems to be well-controlled, helping the Elantra GT Sport to feel stable at speed. The Elantra GT Sport's handling isn't quite as sharp as the leaders of the pack, but it's easily one of the most enjoyable Hyundais we've ever driven.

Overall ride quality is quite good, although road noise can penetrate the Elantra GT Sport's cabin over some road surfaces."

They also claim ALL '18 Elantra GT and not just Sport have i30 based platform but the Sport obviously has the independent rear/sport treatment.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm with you on the pricing, I'll take a VW any day over a Korean brand *at the same price point*... And honestly the Korean car will probably even be more reliable but the Euro handling is nothing to sneeze at, all of us who had German cars know the difference... In fact i'm flat out disgusted how my F5 SX feels like a Geo Metro in the road noise/road feel once you hit highway speeds... I can literally feel the exact texture of the road in the floorboards when I take a sweeping corner at highway speeds and is just plain rough going straight too... I suppose that's why I'm so curious how Hyundai has improved on the suspension, here's another good review too: First drive: 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport [Review] - LeftLaneNews
Every body is different and come from different backgrounds. Before my Forte5, I had some bottom of the barrel cars. 98 Civic EX, 2003 Toyota Echo even before they called it Yaris, and briefly a 2013 Accent sedan. I felt the hatchback was the funnest car of them due to its driving characteristics and the dealer installed 'sports springs' which made you feel every imperfection on the road or may be it was just old, shoddy suspension. Either way, my Forte5 is the most luxurious car I've driven to date. Drove a 98 Camry with that V6 though. Nice smooth ride with power to boot. That thing moved.

Anyway, the older I get the more I tune out of the whole 'keeping up with the joneses' mentality. Badge snobbery is the bane of modern society, as far as I'm concerned. I've never driven a GTI before, not even a test drive but I'm curious how it rides. It's solely my opinion that GTI drivers act like their better than the rest which is laughable because they're the people who couldn't afford an Audi so they bought a VW. Bunch of posers.

My fondness for my car grows with each passing day and each mod I put on it, lol.

Walked to my car this morning and thought.. damn, that looks nice and it's mine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Every body is different and come from different backgrounds. Before my Forte5, I had some bottom of the barrel cars. 98 Civic EX, 2003 Toyota Echo even before they called it Yaris, and briefly a 2013 Accent sedan. I felt the hatchback was the funnest car of them due to its driving characteristics and the dealer installed 'sports springs' which made you feel every imperfection on the road or may be it was just old, shoddy suspension. Either way, my Forte5 is the most luxurious car I've driven to date. Drove a 98 Camry with that V6 though. Nice smooth ride with power to boot. That thing moved.

Anyway, the older I get the more I tune out of the whole 'keeping up with the joneses' mentality. Badge snobbery is the bane of modern society, as far as I'm concerned. I've never driven a GTI before, not even a test drive but I'm curious how it rides. It's solely my opinion that GTI drivers act like their better than the rest which is laughable because they're the people who couldn't afford an Audi so they bought a VW. Bunch of posers.

My fondness for my car grows with each passing day and each mod I put on it, lol.

Walked to my car this morning and thought.. damn, that looks nice and it's mine.
I'm totally with you man, I wasn't expecting much after coming from a 10 year old Audi, and before that a Focus, a very much direct competitor... but it's gotta be better driving than this if I keep it long term...I just want to improve the feel and handling, as other than the nice big wheels and tires it seems to have all the suspension sophistication of a base Rio/Accent, just a bit stiffer, and that's completely unacceptable... I guess that's why I was so curious about the GT Sport, and the new review really seems like it is indeed way better than what we have, even if engine and transmission choices are exactly the same as ours...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts