Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the wattage output of the uvo nav head unit is?
I just got this car and I absolutely love it. However, as others have said the audio really sucks. There is almost no bass even with the bass set to 10 on the head unit.
My wife's 2010 Ford fusion stock head unit with stock speakers sounds really great with lots of bass. I was surprised at how good it sounded since there is no sub.
I don't need a sub but would like to get some decent wattage speakers that have some good bass level.
Also any recommendation as to what speakers are suitable for installing? I seen a video with a guy dismantling the stock speaker harness and gluing some jbl speakers to the harness. Looked pretty janky and was hoping there are some alternatives out there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's a video on replacing the speakers. I've done it myself and it's very easy. You don't need to buy a speaker harness.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Liking the idea of using the factory mount but why cut the factory harness why not use the terminals in the mount to connect the speaker keeping it a simple plug-n-play. Really hate seeing harnesses getting cut.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol I just watched your video this morning. Much better then the other video I saw.
Now just to find out what the 2016 nav unit output wattage is so I can choose appropriate speakers that the unit can drive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What's the size of the door speakers??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the video the speakers he put in were 6.5" I believe.
@Walpole how does your speakers sound? I believe my stock speakers are 20 Watts based on the other video I saw. The ones you put in are 40.
The one thing I know is the stock speakers are loud enough and have OK mid range.

·
Registered
981 Posts
What is the reason for adding the foam piece back on?

First guess would be to absorb vibration from the speaker so it is not transferring noise to the plastic panel. Second thought would be to reduce noise or the possibility of noise when closing the door.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I just did some testing. I set bass to +10 mid -9 treble +3 and thus seems to help a great deal. You can turn up the volume to 50-65% and the bass seems to kick in.
Seems to have a much fuller sound and I can actually hear the tweeters working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The video I posted isn't mine. I took a quick look at it before posting. With my speaker installation, I just cut out the old speaker, screwed the new one to the remaining frame and soldered what were the voice coil wires on the old speaker to the terminals of the new speaker. Plugged it back in and screwed to back to the car. It's incredibly easy.

I used Hertz component speakers in the front and Hertz coax. in the back. I started with just the coax in the front and it made a big difference. Higher efficiency, tighter bass, clear midrange and crisper, more pronounced highs. The component speakers provide a lot broader soundstage and I like them a lot. Putting the coax in the back does help some, mainly because they are more efficient and you can hear them.

I'm happy with the sound quality now. You still have to boost the bass and a subwoofer would be nice, but it's too difficult to cleanly mount the subwoofer in a hatch. Spend a couple hundred bucks, replace the speakers with component in the front and maybe coax in the back, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What speakers did you use?
From a quick look on Amazon the components come with tweeters and a cross over.
Did you install the cross over?
Did you also hookup an amp?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hertz-DSK-165...UTF8&qid=1460377277&sr=8-1&keywords=hertz+6.5

http://www.amazon.com/DCX-165-3-Her...UTF8&qid=1460377670&sr=8-5&keywords=hertz+6.5

I used the high pass portion of the crossover for the tweeters and just connected the woofer direct. I couldn't see any way to connect the low pass portion of the crossover to the woofer in the door without drilling holes in the door and car frame. It sounds great and makes installation much easier. The Hertz tweeters will fit where the OEM ones are, but you will need to trim some plastic away from the cover, so they will fit back into place. I did not use an amp. I typically don't play music at high volume and the head unit does fine for me. Also, the Hertz speakers are significantly more efficient than the OEM speakers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey Walpole,

Any chance you have the OEM speakers laying around? Could you check to see if there's a part # on em to try and identify who makes them/what the specs are?

Really love to knows if these are some 10w RMS pieces of junk haha

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I installed the new speakers, I cut out the OEM speakers, just leaving the connector and "spacer", onto which I screwed the new speakers. I threw away the cone and magnet assembly. Here's a picture of the backside of the woofer. It's a 2010, but they look pretty much identical to current units.

7497580650_82e6cc7f30_b.jpg

I don't remember what the info. was on the speaker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts