Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one stereo store today suggest a Kenwood deck DDX24BT (about 50 watts) + dash kit and wiring harness - a nice looking deck $384 installed. Use factory speakers until a desire to replace them.
The other store suggested a Rockford Fosgate Prime R250X4 $159 + $40 amp kit + $120 labor and keep the factory deck and OEM speakers. Im sure this amplifier would melt the copper wire voice windings or make the factory speakers explode.

The factory deck is so weak. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm just curious... What is the stock deck specs? I've heard ppl complain about speakers and how they don't hit with bass but my stereo with my car is still stock and my speakers hit. Ppl are always looking at me from sidewalks to intersections. Granted it's not pounding like 10's or 12's but I'm getting there. Now if you set the equalizer right and enable the option to get louder when accelerating in speed I think it sounds perfect.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory deck in my KOUP can only be 10-15 watts, bass is weak, soundstage is thin, distortion gets harsh sounding, no dynamic range, and I'm afraid to actually determine what is in the back seat.
Plus the silly thing can only make out about 5 or 6 of the NORMAL compact discs I copied 15 over to USB.
GAWD.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Weird... I'm not positive but I think the navigator decks have 35x4 and there is a big sound difference between the decks because my sister has a 16' Sportage and her stereo is trash and I've tried to mess with her sound. For the USB that's weird, I have a 8 gig that I use that I have nothing but greatest hits from hip hop to alternative. It reads all folders and songs no problem. Maybe try again from scratch.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would do the Kenwood setup. JMO
I'm going with a Pioneer AVH HU in my Koup.
Keep us posted on which way you go.
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Valleyracer I do not know. All I know is if you have a deck that's got the small monitor its got no good sound. The deck with 4.3" screen and nav has better sound. This is all I know. Tbh I like my stock deck and think I'm just gonna buy what I need to run an amp and subs.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just trying to make a good decision with the whole system plan. What are the speakers in the rear seat - do you know? I'm anxious to hear the youtube posting of others who have modded their stereos.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm sorry I do not but I'm also in a F5. Why would they make such a sound difference between the 2 idk. I hear the Rios may even have a better sound system than the Fortes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sorry I do not but I'm also in a F5. Why would they make such a sound difference between the 2 idk. I hear the Rios may even have a better sound system than the Fortes.
Well from my experience, The base model rio of my girlfriend have 2 time at least the sound quality of my sx luxury which I paid twice the freaking price!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well from my experience, The base model rio of my girlfriend have 2 time at least the sound quality of my sx luxury which I paid twice the freaking price!
The OEM deck is less powerful than the WalMart deck we put in my commuter NEON and I'm spoiled with the stereo in my Ram 1500, so this anemic deck in my KOUP is annoying.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
My personal opinion and experience.

I had several cars: 2002 Dodge Intrepid, 2004 Hyundai Elantra, 2007 KIA Rondo (6 speakers), 2009 Hyundai Elantra (GLS - 6 speakers), 2015 KIA Forte5 SX.
Currently rolling in 2016 Forte5 and 2016 Fiat 500X with Beats Premium Audio System.

Comparing them.
intrepid - dull audio. No bass at all.
2004 Elantra - not so bad, but weak. Deck was weak and even better speakers did not quite help.
2007 Rondo - well. much better, some bass. Nice high.
2015/2016 Forte - not so bad, but bass is not there until you crank it and get the volume up. At low volume bass does not emerge.
Fiat - very good bass, but only when the song really calls for it - seems like subwoofer kicks only at a certain, low frequency.

Now, the winner is 2009 Elantra. It had OEM sound, but it was terrific. It was a base model, but the sound was amazing. Bass very strong, even when set at "normal". Even increase in sound, no distortion until you reached end of the scale. I do not know what was it, but again - I miss it so much.

Going back to the topic.

I would first try with AMP. I bet that is the solution here.
And I am going to do that, eventually, when I find time...

·
Registered
170 Posts
My personal opinion and experience.

I had several cars: 2002 Dodge Intrepid, 2004 Hyundai Elantra, 2007 KIA Rondo (6 speakers), 2009 Hyundai Elantra (GLS - 6 speakers), 2015 KIA Forte5 SX.
Currently rolling in 2016 Forte5 and 2016 Fiat 500X with Beats Premium Audio System.

Comparing them.
intrepid - dull audio. No bass at all.
2004 Elantra - not so bad, but weak. Deck was weak and even better speakers did not quite help.
2007 Rondo - well. much better, some bass. Nice high.
2015/2016 Forte - not so bad, but bass is not there until you crank it and get the volume up. At low volume bass does not emerge.
Fiat - very good bass, but only when the song really calls for it - seems like subwoofer kicks only at a certain, low frequency.

Now, the winner is 2009 Elantra. It had OEM sound, but it was terrific. It was a base model, but the sound was amazing. Bass very strong, even when set at "normal". Even increase in sound, no distortion until you reached end of the scale. I do not know what was it, but again - I miss it so much.

Going back to the topic.

I would first try with AMP. I bet that is the solution here.
And I am going to do that, eventually, when I find time...
I had an mxtron Android head unit on my 2015 MT forte 5. It had superior power to the stock headunit, but it wasn't perfect. I had a Rockford fosgate 12, and bought a RF amp to add along with it but never did (and have since traded that car for my current one)

Looking back on it, I won't be getting the mxtron again, at all. I'm seriously debating puting in an aftermarket headunit but until someone makes a kit that I know 100% fits, I don't think I'm gonna fool with it just yet

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
but until someone makes a kit that I know 100% fits, I don't think I'm gonna fool with it just yet
That is the very reason I would rather go for AMP... I want to keep steering wheel controls, camera, and other stuff.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is the very reason I would rather go for AMP... I want to keep steering wheel controls, camera, and other stuff.
I agree.

With the mxtron I had steering wheel controls out of the box. It didnt take much to get the backup camera working, but the unit itself was just. Aged. It felt like tech from 5 years ago.

Going from the mxtron on the 2015, to the stock on the 2016, the Bluetooth sounds terrible. Like the quality of the songs themselves was drastically downgraded. I don't remember it being this bad on my 2015 stock unit either.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'm just curious... What is the stock deck specs? I've heard ppl complain about speakers and how they don't hit with bass but my stereo with my car is still stock and my speakers hit. Ppl are always looking at me from sidewalks to intersections. Granted it's not pounding like 10's or 12's but I'm getting there. Now if you set the equalizer right and enable the option to get louder when accelerating in speed I think it sounds perfect.
I started researching it...
And I am puzzled.
According to specs it should play nicely.

Kia Forte: Specification - Audio - Body Electrical System - Kia Forte TD 2014-2017 Service Manual

It is rated 43W x 4 and speakers are 20 W each (all at 4 Ohm).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree.

With the mxtron I had steering wheel controls out of the box. It didnt take much to get the backup camera working, but the unit itself was just. Aged. It felt like tech from 5 years ago.

Going from the mxtron on the 2015, to the stock on the 2016, the Bluetooth sounds terrible. Like the quality of the songs themselves was drastically downgraded. I don't remember it being this bad on my 2015 stock unit either.

Crosive - any video of your stereos to share?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. I've recently gotten rid of that car.

I'm essentially at: add amplification WITH the stock deck OR install aftermarket deck with "average" amplification - and for the meantime retain factory speakers.
Have to think it thru.

·
Registered
534 Posts
So in the last 2 weeks I have gone through 2 headunits. First a Kenwood ddx-5901 I had laying around. Got steering wheel controls to work with a maestro SW (not worth the RR upgrade on this car), tied in factory mic, factory USB, and backup camera. SQ WAS much better and bass would hit much better after tuning the EQ.

Tuesday I installed a avh-4200 from pioneer. This one has Android auto. Got the camera running, USB still works and 2nd run to the glove box, and reprogrammed maestro for the new unit (mute button activates voice in Android auto as well as the voice button doing it but there is a firmware update for the deck also), but the mic was a no go. First I had to change it to a 2.5mm from a 3.5 mm but even then it did not work. So I need to run the one it came with up to the headliner. SQ is brighter than the Kenwood but also cleaner postally due to the 13 band EQ all below 12kHz.

In conclusion, both units have better stereo separation, better bass due to the beefier amp and (assuming) bigger capacitors. More sources, more options for sound tuning, more options for expandability (front camera anyone?) , Dual zone, sub control once I install mine, etc. And with Android auto I still have maps. The three things I don't get I can think of is no low fuel indicator on screen, no call to 911 if I crash, and no speed warning (gonna miss that one lol).

Overall, headunit first. This is the first so if getting rid of the garbage in garbage out. The pioneer also adds detachable face and imho EVs out the lighting on the dash vs the Kenwood. But I do miss the volume knob.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 135 Posts