Kia Forte Turbo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Forte5 SX, looking into buying a 2017. What does everyone think about the 1.6L Turbo compared to the 2.4L ?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
What do you need to know?

2.4 is weaker and will feel even more slow on the road than on the paper.

2013 MY, 2.4 l MPI
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

2017 MY, 1.6 l T-GDI

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Parallel

You get not only more power and torque, but the torque comes at (in reality) abut 2000 rpm while in 2.4 you will have maybe 80% of it's torque, which is about 50% of 1.6 torque (again, at the same rpm).

1.6 T may be a more problematic, though, yet it gives you way more tuning possibilities. With just small add-ons (KN drop in, HKS spark plugs, 93 octane) you can get another 20 HP and 20 lb*ft, plus it will alter how boost is delivered.

Finally - are you comparing MT or AT? MTs will be similar in feel. ATs, on the other hand, is a completely different word. 2017 was a DCT. It was a dry clutch, but provides enough fun.
The older versions (2014-2016) were slushboxes, but it was a quick one. Paddles worked awesome.
Back to 2017 - shifts will be faster and more pronounced, although take off may need some adjusting. Either let it clutch in at idle and then press the gas or give it a lot of throttle. The worst is changing mind or creeping on partly pushed brake pedal.

What else do you need to know?

Which one I would take?
1.6 no question.

sources:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts