Best Mod
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Best Mod

This is a discussion on Best Mod within the Kia Forte Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Kia Forte Forum category; What's your favorite mod to your forte? I've seen a lot of people say a rear torsion bar for the velosters. Mine so far would ...

Thread: Best Mod

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times

Best Mod

What's your favorite mod to your forte?

I've seen a lot of people say a rear torsion bar for the velosters.

Mine so far would be a midpipe without resonator or 2nd cat. Adds some nice sound and noticeable power.

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Would tune fall into the mod category?

From all mods I have ever done to cars tune on FI engine seemed to be the best return for money (meaning fun and always smiling).

Not sure if I could count this, but heck - it was a mod after all. WINTER tires. Damn, the OEMs suck on packed snow...

I could expand the list for mods that I did and I liked them for a moment, but on the long run were bothering me too much.
    - BOV atmosphere vent (the pshhh was annoying on several occasions)
    - SRI or CAI - too noisy for my personal liking and too much vacuum like sound
    - dog bone mount (nice, stiffer, better response, but too much vibrations for everyday use in a family car)
    - OCC (winter proved to be killing the system and resulted in leaks - too much water)

Mod I did not get to - ATF cooler.

so in short.

TUNE (that was "stock tune" - HKS spark plugs, KN filter drop in , 93 octane).
    ATF aux cooler (if I had the time to do it).
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers) - SOLD... Some OEM and aftermarket parts left after... see my FS thread in market section.
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2015 AUDI Q5 (for wife...)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for wife)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    It definitely counts. Back before I ever had a turbo car I was always blown away by how much power a tune would give VW guys.
    Then I figured it out. Sad thing is, I've only ever had a tune on NA cars. Maybe I should finally change that...

So when you had your forte you uninstalled your catch can? I've got one sitting on the workbench but just haven't gotten around to putting it in.

A trans cooler would be nice. But if I just do a drain and fill about once a year then it should probably be fine. Although I do have a hitch...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    We will be sidetracking now... but I will answer your questions.

Yes, after first OCC explosion (freeze/water/clogged line) I redid the system, put a new check valve, and it "leaked back to the engine again", I finally removed it once and all.
    Also, since I parked the car in the garage, there was a constant smell of fuel and oil on summer (well, warmer part of the year). I admit, OCC was collecting a lot, but I figured - 100k miles warranty will cover any problems. Besides, oil changes were twice a year (late spring late autumn) so for winter oil was nice and clean.

As per ATF cooler.
    Actually, the hitch and towing were never a problem. I towed with it a bit. 120 miles with a load of furniture and boxes extending to about 6 feet from the trailer on a 4x8 flat bed (about 800 lb of cargo). ATF stayed cool, never went above 80 C.
    Towing 1400 lb of gravel on a short distance (like 10 miles on hot summer) was also fine.

The hot ATF was only in a city driving, during really spirited driving... definitely tune helps to bring more heat, but even before the tune I was seeing 100 C on return line (cooled!!). The max I observed was above 125 C coming out from the tranny (above means that the thermometer was recording up to 125 C). I would say it did not hit 130 C based on the return line that was below 110 C.
    And they tranny cooler inside the radiator does some job, but for those hot runs it is too much for it to handle.

Let me explain - it was from dead start WOT to 40-50-60 mph (depending on a road and speed limit). I will not lie that I did not go above the limit, but it would be about 5 mph or so. We had fun, but not idiots to get pulled over for speeding itself.
    Half a mile or so, and another one. And about 7-10 of those starting on warm engine and with ATF in about 55 C. So there you go...

I never took the car to a track. I wanted to, but never happened.

So for those - ATF cooler is needed, I'd say.

As for regular city driving - on hot summer days I could see above 90 C, but not so often.

And that was the reason I wanted to have the torque converter lock up to lock at each shift and keep locked regardless of load.
    Had the TC been locked - I would have never seen so hot ATF.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers) - SOLD... Some OEM and aftermarket parts left after... see my FS thread in market section.
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2015 AUDI Q5 (for wife...)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for wife)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Changing the MAP sensor made a noticeable difference. No extra power from that but the throttle input and sensitivity is much better. Best single power upgrade was the full hot pipe replacement. The combination of hot pipe, cold pipe, gutted second cat and k&n air filter really woke my car up.

A list of my mods. Nothing major like some folks have here but this is my DD so have to keep it somewhat toned down.

Full hot pipe replacement
    Cold pipe replaced with hard silicone pipe
    Gutted second Cat Converter
    MAP sensor replaced
    K&N drop in air filter
    Disabled PCV system w both ports on the valve cover vented to atmosphere
    NGK 1422 spark plugs
    2016 SX Silver
    Build Date 4/16
    In Service 2/13/17

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    I've installed sxth's hotpipe since starting the thread. I have to agree. It made a huge difference. Not so much in power but in power delivery. It's sooo much smoother now. A much more refined feeling.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors