Do I need a new Turbo???
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Do I need a new Turbo???

This is a discussion on Do I need a new Turbo??? within the Kia Forte Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Kia Forte Forum category; I have a 2015 Kia Forte5 sx and my turbo is hardly building any pressure. I had issues with an over advanced timing code that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Playwithmymind

Thread: Do I need a new Turbo???

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Question

I have a 2015 Kia Forte5 sx and my turbo is hardly building any pressure. I had issues with an over advanced timing code that popped up, fixed that issue but now my car makes a howling noise and I barely hear any pressure release from my turbo and sometimes I dont hear it all. Do I need a new turbo or is there some sort of safety feature that shuts it down? Any ideas? Where can I go to purchase a new turbo other than buying it from the dealership. Not under warranty because I do my own oil changes and did not have receipts ( voids warranty ). Did not know that.

Please help, Thanks in advance..[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.forteturbo.org/forum/images/smilies/frown.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.forteturbo.org/forum/images/smilies/frown.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by jf15turbo; 03-17-2019 at 08:53 AM.

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    So I see you posted it in two forums...

Well, warranty does not have to be void only because you did not keep receipts. Who told you that?

Also, how do you know turbo is shot?

I had a case that a hose slipped off the hot pipe with a loud bang (it was under WOT...) I had no boost right away, but I heard this very loud blower like sound. Pulled over, checked, then crippled home. It was very funny experience to drive NA 1.6

So, check everything before making assumptions. Before turbo fails, there are some symptoms, like less power, you could hear noises, or uneven boost...

Yes, not taking the car for an oil change to your dealer is a bad thing. Yet, it still does not mean they will not help you.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    They can't require that you get oil changes at the dealership. However, if you experience issues that could potentially be caused by lack of oil changes then they could void that part of your warranty.

Actually a few auto manufactures got in trouble with the feds a year or two ago. Hyundai was one of the named companies. I didn't see Kia on the list but there were some unnamed companies as well. They had been voiding warranties for repairs done with non-oem parts. Not sure if that included oil filters but it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, if a dealership says they voided your entire warranty contact Kia customer support and see what you can get from them.

Also, check your blow off valve. And like PLP said, check for blown hoses. Thats kind of what it sounds like to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Yes I am still lurking,

When the compressor side bearing in my turbo went bad it caused it started making a strange low tone squeal when it started making boost
    and ultimately is what caused my engine to explode (and I mean explode). Some on here might remember some of the spark plug threads and
    in one of them I was trying to figure out what all the white spots were that getting all over the plugs. Well it turned out to be aluminum from
    the turbo (compressor housing).

After putting all the stock parts back on the car and talking to the dealer (same one that said they didn't care if it had mods or not) turned
    around and said anyone can have receipts for oil and filters but that doesn't mean it was done. Even after they pulled my purchase history
    and seen I bought all filters from them. Then they said during all the work that had been done to the car something may have been in
    the intake system that caused the issue and unless I wanted to pay them by the hour to diagnose what caused the failure. Keep in mind
    they have to record and photo every clamp that was taken off (all have tamper caps and paint marked) and every bolt that has been turned.
    Not that any of those will void warranty, they just have to have it for filing claims with Kia and if they see a lot of things have been removed they
    will deny the claim. So in reality the dealer and Kia can find an infinite number of reasons to deny you unless you are completely stock and
    can show maintenance and preventive maintenance records for the work that has been done (the reason bolts had been turned).

I didn't push the issue due to the fact I know I had probably contributed to the cause by running all different types of BOVs at some point,
    modified the wastegate and ran a boost controller bypassing the ECM.

Did it have anything to do with oil changes like they were implying? NO but it is the first thing they implied before even seeing the car.

A used turbo from LKQ is around $750 a new replacement is $1800. You would be better off pulling it off and going to 6TH or Tork
    and order an upgraded turbo and take the money saved and put a tune on it. Then you will have more car than you have now and
    be safer when it comes to LSPI.
    PLP likes this.
    BC COILOVER KIT
    LONGITUDINAL MID ENGINE LS3 TURBO V8 (work in progress)
    AUDI 01E 6 SPEED TRANSAXLE (regeared and limited slip)
    TUBE CHASSIS W/12 POINT CAGE
    BREMBO BRAKES ALL 4 CORNERS
    RED LINE HOOD LIFT ELITES
    THE BUILD HAS BEGUN
    #TOO_MUCH_INVESTED_TO_STOP_NOW

Will be selling all parts not needed in the near future
    SXTH FMIC
    2015 block, crank, pistons, rods, head, cams, intakes, throttle plates and the list goes on...

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Playwithmymind View Post
    Yes I am still lurking,
    It has been... what? a year by now?
    Welcome back.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers)
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for my wife)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors