DIY: CDV / clutch regulator bypass - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

DIY: CDV / clutch regulator bypass

This is a discussion on DIY: CDV / clutch regulator bypass within the Kia Forte Turbo DIY Section forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; Originally Posted by staax Good job in the full DIY. Not sure why you disconnected the line from the CDV, the vid I sent you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: DIY: CDV / clutch regulator bypass

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by staax View Post
    Good job in the full DIY.

Not sure why you disconnected the line from the CDV, the vid I sent you shows you just removing the entire line. An extra step that was not needed.
    yeah i didn't rewatch the video recently so i forgot some things but it did help me get started.
    i just included the steps to explain what i did and did offer to say it could come off one piece too.
    XXR 530 18x8 rims, KIA 3K emblems, Philips H11 Diamond Vision halogen bulbs, Tork subframe collars,
    CDV/clutch bypass, 2nd cat gutted, 65A bushings, XE ORHP v1, TurboXS BOV, 84400 MAP,
    custom grill, TB coolant bypass, XE 3TBS, 60mm TB, XE cold pipe, SXTH CAI, AEM dryflow filter,
    89 octane gas, KIA oil filters, Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30, Redline MT-85 GL-4 75W85, Amsoil HD coolant

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyracer View Post
    Another 15ForteSX excellent photo set and write up. Even though I have an automatic - when doing this mod, it would be a good/convenient time to replace the manual cable shift bushings visible in the 4th photo from the bottom.
    What does this clutch delay valve install do or change or improve?
    Quote Originally Posted by 15ForteSX View Post
    but basically i think it slows down the fluid by adding like a separate compartment that the fluid has to flow through thereby adding the delay and as a result slower engagement.
    by removing the compartment, the fluid flows smoothly and i guess faster like a straight pipe on an exhaust which gives you a quicker engagement.
    It basically has a valve, like a membrane, not allowing the fluid to rapidly return. Hence, clutch is slightly delayed. Most of the time it should not have any influence on the engagement, but being a membrane valve it slows the flow and it does it irregularly. That's why most stick shift lovers prefer having it straight flow to operate the clutch as they want it.

The idea was to not allow dumping a clutch (accidentally), but it does not work so ideally in the real world.
    I must say that my 2015 was not so bad (unless it was done already by the previous owner) and clutch would operate OK. Except a few times when it was not easy to feel.
    15ForteSX likes this.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers)
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for my wife)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    i would have done so except im broke atm. there might already be good install instructions for this but if i ever get to this i'll probably take some pictures at least.
    as far as the cdv, manufactures insert these as protection to keep it from engaging too quickly supposedly the shock from fast engagement at high revs can do damage to the drivetrains.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve
    but basically i think it slows down the fluid by adding like a separate compartment that the fluid has to flow through thereby adding the delay and as a result slower engagement.
    by removing the compartment, the fluid flows smoothly and i guess faster like a straight pipe on an exhaust which gives you a quicker engagement.
    Absolutely fascinating. Never heard of this in all my years of driving a MTX car. Hope everyone who can do this install benefits from it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    So, instead of just grabbing semi-randomly at the top of the clutch lever throw, you can actually "work" the clutch with more consistent feeling doing this mod? I'm also considering if a very slightly taller final gear ratio would be a good solution to the too short gearing and maybe the CDV would be nice to have if you went with a taller final ratio?
    '16 F5 SX 6M Snow White Pearl - Bought new 3/2/17

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
    So, instead of just grabbing semi-randomly at the top of the clutch lever throw, you can actually "work" the clutch with more consistent feeling doing this mod?
    not quite.
    CDV makes the clutch to respond instantly to your input. It does not change engage points or how it operates overall. The delay valve simply slows down the clutch in respect to the pedal input.

and maybe the CDV would be nice to have if you went with a taller final ratio?
    If that was only possible.
    Lookie here.

https://www.forteturbo.org/forum/19-k...automatic.html

All of them are pretty slow for some reason.
    Optima, on the other hand, has very tall gears. Gaijin put Optima tranny into Veloster and can do 150 mph in I think 5th gear.
    Or from Sonata...
    15ForteSX likes this.
    Drives:

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    I'm also considering if a very slightly taller final gear ratio would be a good solution to the too short gearing and maybe the CDV would be nice to have if you went with a taller final ratio?
    hey i just want to know why would just the final gear be of interest here? i feel like first gear is too short.
    and also why would you want the CDV back for anything? i cant imagine why you would want any delays.

Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    Optima, on the other hand, has very tall gears. Gaijin put Optima tranny into Veloster and can do 150 mph in I think 5th gear.
    Or from Sonata...
    this is awesome. i would consider doing this swap on my forte if it wasn't too much trouble mating and mounting.
    XXR 530 18x8 rims, KIA 3K emblems, Philips H11 Diamond Vision halogen bulbs, Tork subframe collars,
    CDV/clutch bypass, 2nd cat gutted, 65A bushings, XE ORHP v1, TurboXS BOV, 84400 MAP,
    custom grill, TB coolant bypass, XE 3TBS, 60mm TB, XE cold pipe, SXTH CAI, AEM dryflow filter,
    89 octane gas, KIA oil filters, Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30, Redline MT-85 GL-4 75W85, Amsoil HD coolant

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    this is awesome. i would consider doing this swap on my forte if it wasn't too much trouble mating and mounting.
    Let's find out from [mention]Gaijin[/mention]....

EDIT.
    Admin... why MENTION does not work here?
    15ForteSX likes this.
    Drives:

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    CDV art - adds charisma to the garage
    Name:  WP_20170512_019.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  1.04 MB

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Gentlement thanks for the detailed steps.

I was reading other forums and some people they just Drill into the original valve,,, Could this be possible based on your experience? It will avoid using the 2012 part and extra steps to . make it fit...

Thanks in advance,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors