DIY: Rear speaker replacement - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

DIY: Rear speaker replacement

This is a discussion on DIY: Rear speaker replacement within the Kia Forte Turbo DIY Section forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; Originally Posted by 15ForteSX i'm kind of disappointed in the stock setup of the speakers in the rear. its just screwed into the speaker adapter ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: DIY: Rear speaker replacement

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 15ForteSX View Post
    i'm kind of disappointed in the stock setup of the speakers in the rear. its just screwed into the speaker adapter which bolts to the frame without a baffle. its no wonder the bass is terrible.. the outer cone of the speaker should be sealed off from the airspace behind the speaker. basically a sealed enclosure behind the speaker would improve the bass drastically.
    15ForteSX - the rear OEM speaker set up really is a cheap and anemic set up. Kia could have put very little money into something better for the KOUP set up. I'll post photos of my speaker and amp install- maybe do a quicky video.

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    i'm kind of disappointed in the stock setup of the speakers in the rear. its just screwed into the speaker adapter which bolts to the frame without a baffle. its no wonder the bass is terrible..
    How about front? Any baffle there?
    And then, how one could add baffle?

EDIT.

So I started reading about baffles.
    It seems they actually do not do any good to car speakers that are designed to be open space, or so called infinite baffle (I/B) enclosure. Adding a baffle would kill mid bass and distortion.
    Of course, some claim otherwise, but all guys who actually work in audio industry say that it brings no good. The only thing is - protection.

Confusing.

On one hand - sub-woofers are enclosed. Most of the time with a vent. So I would think baffle should help. However, the size of the enclosure depends on many parameters of the speaker itself. What is the membrane made of, what is its power, sound range, and so. And I am coming to a conclusion that a better solution would be a deadening foam liner in the door.
    That what helped my speakers back in a day. No weird resonance from the door anymore and low end got "soften".

Any input from audio guys?
    Last edited by PLP; 03-15-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    if not a baffle, at least a solid surface for the open space speaker to mount on so that it reverberates better. i had a baffle custom made into a door panel on another car that was open space and it made a big difference. i went from thin metal door frame to solid wooden spacers with dynamat around the surface, to a baffle sealed enclosure eventually. also highs and midbass is best heard up front and low bass/filler in the back or at least thats what i like.
    XXR 530 18x8 rims, KIA 3K emblems, Philips H11 Diamond Vision halogen bulbs, Tork subframe collars,
    CDV/clutch bypass, 2nd cat gutted, 65A bushings, XE ORHP v1, TurboXS BOV, 84400 MAP,
    custom grill, TB coolant bypass, XE 3TBS, 60mm TB, XE cold pipe, SXTH CAI, AEM dryflow filter,
    89 octane gas, KIA oil filters, Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30, Redline MT-85 GL-4 75W85, Amsoil HD coolant

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    if not a baffle, at least a solid surface for the open space speaker to mount on so that it reverberates better. i had a baffle custom made into a door panel on another car that was open space and it made a big difference. i went from thin metal door frame to solid wooden spacers with dynamat around the surface, to a baffle sealed enclosure eventually. also highs and midbass is best heard up front and low bass/filler in the back or at least thats what i like.
    Would the rear speaker upgrade, as shown in this post, benefit from some dynamat (or similar) installed somewhere - and where would the material be placed if beneficial?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyracer View Post
    Would the rear speaker upgrade, as shown in this post, benefit from some dynamat (or similar) installed somewhere - and where would the material be placed if beneficial?
    the empty space surrounding the speaker, if unused by the car's interior parts, could be used to either insert a baffle or custom enclosure box. someone should measure the dimensions of that space surrounding the speaker. i wonder if a wooden box enclosure can be made to put into that space with the right amount of air space too.

the other idea is to make a solid surface for the speaker to reverberate off of. i would use a mdf wooden board 5/8-3/4in thick with the speaker size hole cut out and mount this board behind the chassis and bolt it onto the chassis. i have it pictured with the board on top but just imagine it behind the chassis or however it works best.

Name:  speaker.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  3.19 MB
    XXR 530 18x8 rims, KIA 3K emblems, Philips H11 Diamond Vision halogen bulbs, Tork subframe collars,
    CDV/clutch bypass, 2nd cat gutted, 65A bushings, XE ORHP v1, TurboXS BOV, 84400 MAP,
    custom grill, TB coolant bypass, XE 3TBS, 60mm TB, XE cold pipe, SXTH CAI, AEM dryflow filter,
    89 octane gas, KIA oil filters, Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30, Redline MT-85 GL-4 75W85, Amsoil HD coolant

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    As for wooden box - I would be careful especially if you are carrying passengers in the back. I am thinking of any accidents...
    But very nice visualisation.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    the empty space surrounding the speaker, if unused by the car's interior parts, could be used to either insert a baffle or custom enclosure box. someone should measure the dimensions of that space surrounding the speaker. i wonder if a wooden box enclosure can be made to put into that space with the right amount of air space too.

the other idea is to make a solid surface for the speaker to reverberate off of. i would use a mdf wooden board 5/8-3/4in thick with the speaker size hole cut out and mount this board behind the chassis and bolt it onto the chassis. i have it pictured with the board on top but just imagine it behind the chassis or however it works best.

Name:  speaker.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  3.19 MB
    Essentially adding a speaker cabinet to the main driver. The scope of this upgrade could come down the road if I do other audio upgrades.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    We installed the rear speakers yesterday. No surprises. Just adding a few photos in addition to Nastus excellent set. Anyone can do this install with a few simple tools and some wire crimping. The OEM rear speakers are muddy sounding and weak. These 3 way RockFord Fosgate are sweet and full range sounding, even not yet broken in. The new sound is so much smoother and less gritty. Name:  DSCF3646.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  1.19 MBName:  DSCF3647.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  1.27 MBName:  DSCF3649.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  893.3 KBName:  DSCF3650.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  1.20 MBName:  DSCF3651.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  1.09 MBName:  DSCF3652.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  1.24 MBName:  DSCF3653.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  1.20 MBName:  DSCF3654.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  882.0 KB
    15ForteSX likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    i see your getting busy doing things on the car, looking good.
    do they distort at all at high volume? i noticed you got 45w rms which is great for running off the deck compared to the higher powered speakers out there. good choice.
    i will eventually get to the audio. i'm still displeased at the stereo and what to get. i wanted to have a stock look to deter theft but at the same time retain the steering controls, bluetooth, etc.
    when i can decide and can afford for an aftermarket stereo, then i will mess with the speakers.

on another note, i was thinking, if the aftermarket stereo was one of those android types, could the torque app run off the deck using the bluetooth it has.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    i see your getting busy doing things on the car, looking good.
    do they distort at all at high volume? i noticed you got 45w rms which is great for running off the deck compared to the higher powered speakers out there. good choice.
    i will eventually get to the audio. i'm still displeased at the stereo and what to get. i wanted to have a stock look to deter theft but at the same time retain the steering controls, bluetooth, etc.
    when i can decide and can afford for an aftermarket stereo, then i will mess with the speakers.

on another note, i was thinking, if the aftermarket stereo was one of those android types, could the torque app run off the deck using the bluetooth it has.
    15ForteSX - those RockFord fosgate speakers are breaking in slowly, but surely, and they are so clear and full range I"m completely happy. We A-B'd the OEM rear speaker during the install (and to verify correct wiring) and the OEM paper rear speaker is sonic junk. The new speakers have a hefty magnet and the polypropolene material is stiff and rigid so no break up or flappy vibration; no audible distortion.
    As it stands, I'll get another identical pair of 3 ways for the doors, or upgrade and do something with the dash tweeter. I"ll ad a 4 channel amp very shortly, it's the OEM speakers that are horrid, I don't think the deck is too bad, just not much power; typical though.
    There is video on youtube about the door speakers............
    15ForteSX and PLP like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors