How well does our FMIC work? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

How well does our FMIC work?

This is a discussion on How well does our FMIC work? within the Tork Motorsports forums, part of the Vendors category; Originally Posted by Playwithmymind I'm going to pick this apart, (1st) what I was saying is here you said ambient was 82° and on Facebook ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How well does our FMIC work?

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Playwithmymind View Post
    I'm going to pick this apart, (1st) what I was saying is here you said ambient was 82° and on Facebook you stated ambient was 70°.

(2nd) So you are saying at 25-30 mph there is enough wind going thru the IC to cool it below ambient? Not possible, do the math, for there to be a 12°F drop in ambient IC temperature (believe Evaporative Cooling is the only way to achieve that) and doing the math it seems if there was no water being applied you would have to have 168% humidity in the air. Point is in any real life situation at any speed you will never have colder air exiting the IC lower than what the ambient temperature is (unless using a sprayer or meth inj). Anyone with a front mount, if you are using the ambient temp reading from the cars gauge (dash or ECU) remember it is sitting behind the FMIC picking up the extra heat. Best thing to do is carefully open the harness and relocate the sensors.

It's the only way to make sure people know what they are buying actually performs and the reason I chose to go with the setup I have. Never once did I question the sensors or gauge used because every result posted had the same numbers. When you posted a link to Facebook and someone reads it then comes back here and finishes reading the post here and it has 2 different posted numbers one of which gives a air to air IC a 109% efficiency I have to question it.
    No idea what was said on Facebook, they could have been pulling ambient off the front of the car with that post. I was stating what we saw on the dyno station when I made this post. It could have very well been 70 degrees that they were recording on the car's ECU with the fan running across the front of the engine.

You got me there, I can not argue with the physics of what you are saying. We did use a sprayer bottle on a few of the runs, but nothing that we used for these posts. Our FMIC set up puts the sensors under the FMIC, so its not it direct path of the FMIC heat. Its away from the path of heat.

You can question it all you want and we appreciate that you are questioning it.

The facts are, hot side was what it was. Cold side was what it was. There is a huge temp difference with our FMIC, which no one else has ran any surface temp videos to show how well their FMIC is working. As a comparison, have some videos that we did with one of our competitor's FMIC, and we were actually scared to tune the customers car when we saw those results. Did we post that video? No, we didnt'. Why? Because we don't need to have our video proof dissected and make it sound like we are bashing the competition.

Simply said, the ambient temp was between 70 and 80 degrees and our temp drops from the FMIC are posted in video format for others to see. We understand that we will not make everyone happy with our results, we understand that people are going to have a camp that the appropriately swing from (deznuts). The great thing about the internet... you can choose to buy and believe what you want. We have video proof of what our intercooler does, so with that said... have a great day!

Thanks,

John

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    A bit off topic for FMIC, but does FMIC affect the ambient temperature reading? That display where clock is.
    I think it has the two probes sitting in the front of condenser. So, when FMIC gets there, the sensors are being washed with warmer air...

Just a thought if this would have any influence on performance.

Supporting Vendor 6thElementEngineering's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    A bit off topic for FMIC, but does FMIC affect the ambient temperature reading? That display where clock is.
    I think it has the two probes sitting in the front of condenser. So, when FMIC gets there, the sensors are being washed with warmer air...

Just a thought if this would have any influence on performance.
    You are correct, it does....but not much.

We were only able to make the temp display where the clock is to start rising when we would do a long wide open throttle pull, from 2nd gear thru 4th/5th. It would go up maybe 2-3 deg max. then it comes back down once you drive normally again.
    If you do one or two shorter WOT runs, it may not change at all or maybe 1 deg max. You really have to get going really fast and for an extended period of time.
    PLP likes this.
    6th Element Engineering - Premier Kia/Hyundai Performance
    www.sxthelement.com
    email us: [email protected]
    2014 Koup SX - Graphite Steel/6-Speed
    6th Element Engineering Modifications:
    Cold Air Intake
    Lower Engine Mount
    Shifter Bushings
    Shifter Cable Bushings
    Resonator Delete Pipe
    Radiator Cap Cover
    Dual Oil Catch Can Kit
    Front Mount Intercooler Kit
    MAX FLOW Fuel Pump/Line Kit

Currently prototyping: Downpipe, OEM Intercooler Hot Pipe Kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElementEngineering View Post
    You are correct, it does....but not much.

We were only able to make the temp display where the clock is to start rising when we would do a long wide open throttle pull, from 2nd gear thru 4th/5th. It would go up maybe 2-3 deg max. then it comes back down once you drive normally again.
    If you do one or two shorter WOT runs, it may not change at all or maybe 1 deg max. You really have to get going really fast and for an extended period of time.

Thanks for a quick response.

So that means most of heat you read from MAP comes actually from hot intake, not the air...

I do not think ECU relies on this temp too much, does it? It may affect the A/C kicking in when is cold and eventually freezing evaporator.
    I am just thinking out loud... do not pay any attention.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    962 times
    I moved those sensors to the drivers side of my fmic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    PLP likes this.
    15 F5 A/T , 6th intake, Rev Motorsports 75A & 65A dogbone bushings, Second cat delete, Custom FMIC, 2.5" exhaust with Pypes muffler, TurboSmart Vee Port Pro , 2 ADD W1 catch cans, Transmission Cooler, DEI Wrapped intake, Custom 3"-2.5" lower intake pipe, Oil Cooler (needs to be installed), TB coolant bypass, Tork Motorsports tuned, Prosport boost gauge, NST lightweight pulleys, 60mm TB, Storm lowering springs, 3" single exit axle back.
    Instagram: Forte5t
    Team Hybrid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors