Longtime lurker
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Longtime lurker

This is a discussion on Longtime lurker within the Introductions forums, part of the Site News category; Hey all, just recently joined, been lurking for a while. Bought my wife a 2015 Forte5 SX a couple years ago. That's when I found ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PLP

Thread: Longtime lurker

Member #
    Member #

Longtime lurker

Hey all, just recently joined, been lurking for a while.

Bought my wife a 2015 Forte5 SX a couple years ago. That's when I found this place. It is black/black.

I haven't done many mods, got the Broken K emblems from the K5 optima store I found through here and also changed the maps sensor after reading a thread here.

Then, I just posted about a radio install.

At some point I want to do a tune, but a little hesitant as I don't want to mess with warranty.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Welcome!
    I have the same 2015 forte5sx black/black. I've had it since 2015 and still really enjoy it.

I too have been considering a tune but haven't bitten the bullet yet. PLP is selling a tuned ecu. You can always go that route and swap your ecu if you need to go to the dealership. The only other tuning option that you can remove are piggybacks. There are pros and cons to those. Many here would likely say more cons. If you have any questions about them feel free to shoot me a PM. I've done quite a bit of research on them but haven't purchased one either.

Member #
    Member #
    Nice, let me know what you decide. I'm not ready yet. I just put a new head unit in and may do the tune next year sometimes. I moved to Wa state and don't live that far from Tork Motorsports so I was considering having them do it.

I also want to change the headlight bulbs so they match the fog lights better.

Quote Originally Posted by lephoenix View Post
    Welcome!
    I have the same 2015 forte5sx black/black. I've had it since 2015 and still really enjoy it.

I too have been considering a tune but haven't bitten the bullet yet. PLP is selling a tuned ecu. You can always go that route and swap your ecu if you need to go to the dealership. The only other tuning option that you can remove are piggybacks. There are pros and cons to those. Many here would likely say more cons. If you have any questions about them feel free to shoot me a PM. I've done quite a bit of research on them but haven't purchased one either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    If you can get to a vendor and get on their dyno that will pretty much always be your best option.

I just worked out a deal on a used intake today and might be ordering a strut tower brace later so all of my car funds will be going towards those rather than tuning. Might happen later in the year though. We will see. I still need to install my boost gauge and order some colder spark plugs before that happens.

As far as the lights matching, I have yellow fog lights. So thats my preference. I think fog lights are actually supposed to be yellow to function as fog lights better. But, for additional driving lights during normal conditions and for aesthetic purposes I get the matching thing.

Member #
    Member #
    cool. I need to look at our lights again.

Oh yeah, I forgot I do have a cold air intake. In fact, I got mine fore free as it was the design car for the AEM intake

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Welcome.

Headlights.
    If you go HID route - 2015 has different headlights than 2016. Yes, different part number due to the fact 2015 had option for a factory HID. They used same optics in both, though. So, when you pull the H11b from the assembly, observe its orientation. Then visit https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ for their info on H11A and H11B HID. I spend months on looking the right HID lamp for my car back then. The problem is that by putting a wrong one in, you will have nice two shadows exactly in the center of the beam (on each side).

Tune.
    Man, from all mods I have ever done there are three that I like the most.
    For NA engine - intake (short, long, KN drop in - you name it). The point is - the nice rumble sound from intake. FI engines are not so good as turbo spool creates vacuum like noise.
    For FI engines - tune. Hands down tune. Nothing gives you better return on money. I am not selling tunes (I have spare parts from my F5, like spare wheel, HID, tune, MAP...), so I do not care if you get one, but I can tell you - I did not believe. The moment I installed the new ECU - man, smile each time I mashed the gas.
    Finally, the 3rd mod - tires. Nothing more important that good grip. Not necessarily wide, just good compound. Stock size is fine. Go 215/50 and it will be still good. Go 235 - louder, but also fine. As long as the right tire is there. OEMs were OK for the first 10k miles.

Have fun.

Oh, tune will not destroy the engine, unless you drive WOT all the time and do not let the engine to cool. Believe me - it gets hot.
    I would be more worried about those that "one fits all" style chips.
    Not that they do not work, but may create some issues...
    FredRidge likes this.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers) - SOLD... Some OEM and aftermarket parts left after... see my FS thread in market section.
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2015 AUDI Q5 (for wife...)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for wife)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    Oh, tune will not destroy the engine, unless you drive WOT all the time and do not let the engine to cool. Believe me - it gets hot.
    I would be more worried about those that "one fits all" style chips.
    Not that they do not work, but may create some issues...
    Unless you don't put in colder spark plugs and the correct octane fuel. That can destroy an engine. lol
    As far as the "chips". Same thing, kind of. The chip chips are no good for sure. "Chips" meaning piggybacks, a bit different. But there's more to be aware of, less to gain, and less general community experience. All for, not actually that much less money. I think they have their place but they need additional consideration. Sxth's OEM+ tune right now is really priced too good to justify considering much else at the casual tuner level with maybe a few exceptions.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Welcome!
    Try some simple mods first. I did, map sensor, K&N drop in filter, hot pipe replacement, cold pipe replacement, 1 step colder spark plugs, knocked the guts out of the second cat converter. I also have a fully vented valve cover, both ports, w the pcv valve drilled out w 2 lines venting to the ground. These changes really woke the motor up. I may do a tune in the future. I'm also a stickler on oil changes for this motor, 2k mile spill and fills w 4k mile filter changes. So it gets fresh oil every 2k miles. I also do a flush at each oil fill. I dump about 3/4 of a qt of oil w the drain plug out and watch until fresh oil starts to drain, The crazy front facing oil drain plug makes it impossible to get all the dirty oil out any other way. I only use OE oil filters and am currently running Castrol black bottle 5-30. Name:  IMG_0574.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  331.9 KBName:  IMG_0575.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  387.0 KB You can see my hot pipe by the filter.
    You can also see how I drive the car up on 4 2x6 boards to get it up a little higher off the ground but keep it level.
    Last edited by SXTurbo; 01-04-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    2016 SX Silver
    Build Date 4/16
    In Service 2/13/17

Member #
    Member #
    I will have to look into hot pip and cold piper and spark plugs. I do have the cold air intake and the map sensor. I was waiting on the second cat until I did some other stuff. Especially because we were in CA before and I didn't want to mess with any smog stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by SXTurbo View Post
    Welcome!
    Try some simple mods first. I did, map sensor, K&N drop in filter, hot pipe replacement, cold pipe replacement, 1 step colder spark plugs, knocked the guts out of the second cat converter. I also have a fully vented valve cover, both ports, w the pcv valve drilled out w 2 lines venting to the ground. These changes really woke the motor up. I may do a tune in the future. I'm also a stickler on oil changes for this motor, 2k mile spill and fills w 4k mile filter changes. So it gets fresh oil every 2k miles. I also do a flush at each oil fill. I dump about 3/4 of a qt of oil w the drain plug out and watch until fresh oil starts to drain, The crazy front facing oil drain plug makes it impossible to get all the dirty oil out any other way. I only use OE oil filters and am currently running Castrol black bottle 5-30. Name:  IMG_0574.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  331.9 KBName:  IMG_0575.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  387.0 KB You can see my hot pipe by the filter.
    You can also see how I drive the car up on 4 2x6 boards to get it up a little higher off the ground but keep it level.

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Yeah, I agree on the easy mods. That would be my approach as well - kind of to get to know the car.

However, I will still advocate, if you want really feel the difference, money wise - tune is the way to start.
    It is one of the most expensive mods, but bumps the power drastically.

Say, FMIC is about the same area (assuming tune and spare ECU), but FMIC itself will not really be noticeable. I mean, there is some improvement, yet when you compare number to number, or the feel - tune is the way to go.
    Furthermore, once you start with the tune - all other mods you start adding will cause only better and better results. Much more noticeable that doing them before the tune.
    I do not quite understand this idea, but I was told the tune is left "open to learn" and once FMIC is added - it will really use all what it can, or DP.

Whatever you do - F5 SX is a fun car.
    I liked it a lot.
    Yet, I am staying with EVs

Bummer that my F5 still does not have a new home.
    They dropped the price again to 14.5k. Poor baby.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers) - SOLD... Some OEM and aftermarket parts left after... see my FS thread in market section.
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2015 AUDI Q5 (for wife...)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for wife)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors