Hello From CT, Turbo People!
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Hello From CT, Turbo People! within the Introductions forums, part of the Site News category; Hey everyone, Just bought a black 2015 Forte5 SX in automatic. My previous car was an 08 turbo Outback so I'm familiar with tuning, suspension ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lephoenix

Thread: Hello From CT, Turbo People!

Member #
    Member #

Hey everyone,

Just bought a black 2015 Forte5 SX in automatic. My previous car was an 08 turbo Outback so I'm familiar with tuning, suspension and reliability mods. I'm excited to read up on here and learn more about the 1.6 Turbo, which is hopefully more reliable than my Subaru's 2.5...

I probably won't do too much engine work right now, since at 22k I think I still have a powertrain warranty as a second owner. But I've lurked a little bit and I think my first mod will be rigid collars or a sway bar. Any recommendations you have for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Hope to talk to some of you all soon!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Welcome! And nice car. Its exactly the same as mine.

I feel you on the powertrain warranty stuff. If you want a touch more power you can always get a drop-in air filter. I've always like K&N but there are plenty of people who prefer non-oiled filters.

Another option is a piggyback tune. They can be removed easily before heading to a dealership if you feel like it. Piggybacks have gotten a bad rap for a while (and still do with the veloster 1.6t crowd and only slightly less here) but there are some companies that have really been producing some cool stuff for German cars for about 10 years now. "Recently" they started producing products for Asian made cars with good results. 1.6t elantras, veloster Ns, i30 Ns, stingers, civic si's, etc. all seem to like some of the products lap3, racechip, afe, burger and others have put out. All they do is increase boost by 2-3 psi and let the computer handle the rest of the engine parameters. I've been looking into these a lot but haven't bitten the bullet.

As far as rigid collars, TORK or whoever provided them before doesn't anymore. The only ones I have found are the TORCON rigid collars for the kia forte K3 (Korean version or our car?). You can get them for around $45 but it only includes 2 rather than the 4 that TORK had before. Also I'm not 100% sure that they fit.

For the sway... errr, torsion bar. I am considering getting the evilla one from kdmtuners. https://kdmtuners.com/product/evilla...bar-2014-2015/
    I think you can get 10% off from them on your first purchase and every email I have sent to kdmtuners has been promptly replied to.
    PLUS, I do have a little bit of fear that parts like these will go the way of TORKS collars. I have some fear of waiting a year to buy one and they are no longer in production.

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    329 times
    From my perspective (after owning two F5s - 2015 MT and 2016 AT) I must say the best mod ever was the tune using spare ECU. I also used drop in KN and HKS spark plugs. Poured 93 and the car was a beast. There was a big difference in slow speeds, but the huge power improvement was above 65 mph where it would pull strongly till 110-120 mph (I never pushed more than that).

Suspension - yes, the rear is tricky. Could be better, but I never did anything to it. FMIC - I was about to, but did not touch the project before selling the cars.

My steps are/would be the following: tune, tires, brakes, suspension, and other gadgets.

I got some parts left from my cars, so check my thread in sales to see if anything is interesting for you.

On a side note.
    MT vs AT.
    Anything below 4000 rpm or 50 mph - AT was much better to handle and use.
    Highway and shifts above 4000 rpm - MT would be my choice.

If Forte was offered with DCT (I mean years 2014+) I would have gotten it and most likely stayed with it.

Oh, one more thing.

I learnt from monitoring temps that ATF gets quite hot if you push it a few times on a hot day. I had a few instances, in city, to have ATF at 100 C cold line, while hot, from the tranny was 115 C. Definitely ATF cooler would help. Another project I did not finish although I actually had all the parts...
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers) - SOLD...
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2015 AUDI Q5 (for wife...)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for wife)

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post

My steps are/would be the following: tune, tires, brakes, suspension, and other gadgets.
    Oh YEAH! I totally forgot about the stock tires. Mine were bad. Not dangerous bad (most of the time) but they did not help the vehicle in the performance category AT ALL.
    A new set of performance tires helps a ton. They don't even have to be strictly summer tires. If Kia would have sold the car with better tires (and maybe recommended but not required at least mid grade fuel) then I'm sure it would have initially performed a whole lot better in reviews. Car and Driver tested the auto to be only like 0.3 seconds slower 0-60 than the focus st. With decent tires I'm sure that gap would shrink. Maybe only 0.1 but still...
    PLP likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Welcome. Post some pics when you have time.
    Enjoy the Forum.
    2014 Koup "SX" A/T Silver. Mods; Tint, 6th EE Delete Pipe, Sylvania SilverStar Head, Nokya Fog, Interior LEDs, Debadge (Forte) Trunk-75A Red Dogbone (one side only) Done.

Member #
    Member #
    Awesome! Definitely some good goals and info to start out with...at the moment I can only afford to do some research on here haha. But I'll set my sights on a tune and tires. Is it worth it to check out Veloster forums for their input on tunes as well?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyaaa45 View Post
    Awesome! Definitely some good goals and info to start out with...at the moment I can only afford to do some research on here haha. But I'll set my sights on a tune and tires. Is it worth it to check out Veloster forums for their input on tunes as well?
    Yeah. They have lots of info over there thats worth checking out. Just read through it carefully and thoroughly. Usually a lot of people buy into new stuff quick there and there are epic threads with ideas going back and forth.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors