What Tires Would you Recommend?
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on What Tires Would you Recommend? within the Kia Forte Turbo Wheels and Tires forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport - $1105 others available: Firestone Indy500 - sold out Nexen N'fera SU1 - $605 Kumho Ecsta PS91 - $770 Yokohama ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Tires Would you Recommend?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times

225/40R18
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport - $1105

others available:
    Firestone Indy500 - sold out
    Nexen N'fera SU1 - $605
    Kumho Ecsta PS91 - $770
    Yokohama S.Drive - $820
    BFG G-force Sport Comp2 - $840
    Cooper Zeon RS3-S - $840
    Nitto NT555 - $840
    Yokohama Advan Sport V105 - $890
    Nitto Invo - $915
    Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 K120 - $935
    Continental ContiSportContact 5 - $1175

These will be strictly used as Summers only. Here in Southern Ontario where winters are brutal and summers are short.

I'll probably have these on the car for 4-5 months of the year. I actually asked about the Firestone Indy 500 tires since they're rated very good for price/performance index but it looks like they're sold out every where. At the risk of offending die hard Forte owners, I just think the Michelin PSS are overkill for our car. Another set of Nexen? I heard they're pretty good too. Also looked at the NITTO NT555.

Thanks for any suggestions forthcoming.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    I really like my Comp 2's
    #Fear the K!

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    First I would suggest 225/45 or better yet - 235/40.

Then, when I cannot tell you what tire to pick, as it is very often personal opinion, I can tell you what I care about. Well, first what I do NOT care.

I do not give a shit about mileage and related warranty. Also, ECO - eco is your foot. I would fight for extra 2% if I had Prius...

What I do care about is their reputation, their look, noise, and performance.

Look - very personal.

However, noise - that is annoying one. When new it is quiet, but once half gone - majority of them get very loud. It is hard to determine, but some post reviews after 20k miles... so you might find it.

The last one is the most important to me.
    Performance.

And do not get it wrong - I am not looking for awesome cornering tire.
    I am looking for performance DRY vs WET. The closer the gap the better.
    This way I can avoid a situation of sudden skidding tire on wet... sure, it will skid more than on dry, but if the gap is little, I will not experience ice skating.

And to my surprise - all typical summer tires have worse grip than all seasons. That is based on TireRack tests.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers)
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for my wife)

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shagger View Post
    I really like my Comp 2's
    Who makes those?

Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    First I would suggest 225/45 or better yet - 235/40.

Then, when I cannot tell you what tire to pick, as it is very often personal opinion, I can tell you what I care about. Well, first what I do NOT care.

I do not give a shit about mileage and related warranty. Also, ECO - eco is your foot. I would fight for extra 2% if I had Prius...

What I do care about is their reputation, their look, noise, and performance.

Look - very personal.

However, noise - that is annoying one. When new it is quiet, but once half gone - majority of them get very loud. It is hard to determine, but some post reviews after 20k miles... so you might find it.

The last one is the most important to me.
    Performance.

And do not get it wrong - I am not looking for awesome cornering tire.
    I am looking for performance DRY vs WET. The closer the gap the better.
    This way I can avoid a situation of sudden skidding tire on wet... sure, it will skid more than on dry, but if the gap is little, I will not experience ice skating.

And to my surprise - all typical summer tires have worse grip than all seasons. That is based on TireRack tests.
    I like the look of the stock nexen tires. I hate fat tires and I'm willing to sacrifice a little noise/comfort for look and performance, obviously since these are summer tires. I put on fat ugly 16" for winters with black steelies then which is fine by me.

Thought about going 235 but wouldn't you need wider rims to accommodate that? I dont' want to spend another $1000 for new rims. May be in a few more seasons.

Speaking of performance, I'm surprised the stock Nexen AS work pretty good in wet. We've had a lot of rain lately, some areas even experience record flooding so you can imagine the water levels when it rains is quite more than normal. The Nexens went through deep standing water without getting 'too' squirrely. I'm surprised.

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014Forte5 View Post
    Speaking of performance, I'm surprised the stock Nexen AS work pretty good in wet. We've had a lot of rain lately, some areas even experience record flooding so you can imagine the water levels when it rains is quite more than normal. The Nexens went through deep standing water without getting 'too' squirrely. I'm surprised.
    I agree on Nexens. I had experience with Hankook H426 on 2015 and they were decent on dry, but very poor on wet not to mention cold days...

Thought about going 235 but wouldn't you need wider rims to accommodate that? I dont' want to spend another $1000 for new rims. May be in a few more seasons.
    Nope, not at all. I suggest going taller side wall or wider tire (keeping same profile to increase side wall height) for the purpose of cushion and protect the rim.
    But if your roads are OK and you like the low profile - then keep stock. Or go 215/45 (less noise and cheaper tire).

I think 215/45 would provide overall better grip in turns, especially on uneven surface. Wide tire and low profile does not mean better grip...

And just FYI.
    225/40 will have 90 mm side wall, 235 will be 94, while 215/45 96.8 mm.

When the time comes I probably will be going to 215.
    I personally had good experience with Continentals (DWS and some special Conti Sport or something like that - a special line for US DiscountTire).

On the cheap side - I had Generals Altimax HP for Elantra and while it provided a decent grip (both wet and dry) they did not like being spun and burned. They would rather melt away (with still good grip) and smoke/smelled a lot. Of course - worn them quickly.
    Last edited by PLP; 06-05-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    Drives:

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    I agree on Nexens. I had experience with Hankook H426 on 2015 and they were decent on dry, but very poor on wet not to mention cold days...

Nope, not at all. I suggest going taller side wall or wider tire (keeping same profile to increase side wall height) for the purpose of cushion and protect the rim.
    But if your roads are OK and you like the low profile - then keep stock. Or go 215/45 (less noise and cheaper tire).

I think 215/45 would provide overall better grip in turns, especially on uneven surface. Wide tire and low profile does not mean better grip...

And just FYI.
    225/40 will have 90 mm side wall, 235 will be 94, while 215/45 96.8 mm.

When the time comes I probably will be going to 215.
    I personally had good experience with Continentals (DWS and some special Conti Sport or something like that - a special line for US DiscountTire).

On the cheap side - I had Generals Altimax HP for Elantra and while it provided a decent grip (both wet and dry) they did not like being spun and burned. They would rather melt away (with still good grip) and smoke/smelled a lot. Of course - worn them quickly.
    I was interested in less noise and a little more comfort and pothole absorbing capability, but unfortunately 225/40/18 can be found in far more options and cheaper prices than 215/45/18... For example, I can get a stock 225/40/18 size as cheap as $64 bare tire price compared to $112 in 215/45/18... Now of course most enthusiasts don't buy the cheapest tire available, but that just goes to show the options out there... I actually bought one of those cheap $64 tires after a pothole took out one of my tires at only 2000 miles in and I don't notice any difference with it not matching the factory Kumho's... In fact, the cheapie has a higher speed and load rating than the overpriced factory tire! LOL.

Anyway, for a good summer tire, BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 isn't bad at all for only $128 each...
    PLP likes this.
    '16 F5 SX 6M Snow White Pearl - Bought new 3/2/17

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    OK guys, I'll list the Comp2 then.

I think the Konig Rennform rims I have are slightly wider (offset?) than the stock 18" because the stock Nexen kind of stick out a bit. They've served me well in the last 3 seasons but I think its time to get new ones since they have a few rips and punctures in them. Recently went a little over zelous while taking an offramp and didn't see a damn pot hole. When I went over it, I felt my fillings come loose and thought for sure the rim was bent. Looked at them but they were fine. Konig makes good rims.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    225/40R18

These will be strictly used as Summers only. Here in Southern Ontario where winters are brutal and summers are short.

I'll probably have these on the car for 4-5 months of the year.
    Thanks for any suggestions forthcoming.
    So you have a set of 4 "winter" tires for traction, chains and snow? Then you change to a performance tread tire for summer use?
    Don't know much about severe weather or the retail tire situation in Canada - but couldn't you find a set of perfectly good used tires for the summer time?
    Where I live there are used tire stores with perfectly good tires with 90% or more of the tread left at great prices.

Do you have separate rims and tires for each season or do you seasonally change the tires to the same rims?

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyracer View Post
    Do you have separate rims and tires for each season or do you seasonally change the tires to the same rims?
    Must be separate since winters are 16".
    Besides, if you are about to use winter tires for winter, swapping them for 18" rim is a killer. After two seasons rims pay off. Even more, 16" winter tire (say 205/60x16) is WAY less expensive than 225/40x18.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyracer View Post
    Don't know much about severe weather or the retail tire situation in Canada - but couldn't you find a set of perfectly good used tires for the summer time?
    Where I live there are used tire stores with perfectly good tires with 90% or more of the tread left at great prices.
    I never trusted used tires. Not only not sure how and where they were used, but warranty is gone, never good chance to find 4 of same thread pattern/lot...
    And finally - what saving would that be? Only to get them changed sooner. Maybe to get one, but not the whole set.
    Not to mention rebates you can get by buying set of 4.
    For example: just last weekend DiscoutTire would offer 160 in discounts for a set of new 4 tires. Add rims and it goes up to 320 off. Of course certain sizes, brands, but still.
    Drives:

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Black and round ones, unless your doing track days and racing on the streets a $150.00 summer tires are just fine. Are you doing track days? remember public roads, pot holes, beer bottles and used hypodermic needles are not going to give a crap about an expensive tire it will eat what ever is handed to it.
    PLP likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors