Battery question(s)
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Battery question(s)

This is a discussion on Battery question(s) within the Kia Forte Turbo Electronics forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; I've been driving a 2017 Forte5 SX for about 1 1/2 years, but my FIXD diagnostic scan said today that the "resting battery" is 11.7 ...

Thread: Battery question(s)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Battery question(s)

I've been driving a 2017 Forte5 SX for about 1 1/2 years, but my FIXD diagnostic scan said today that the "resting battery" is 11.7 V . I've read that a normal battery should have a resting rate of 12.5 V and that below 12 is "critical". Different youtube clips say a car battery shouldn't need to be replaced for 4 or 5 years. So, should I replace my battery with only 1 1/2 years of use? The car starts and operates fine and there are no apparent symptoms of a dying or weak battery. One other wrinkle: a Rockford Fosgate R250 X 4 Amp was installed when I bought the car. Since I listen to mp3 music files, I need the extra punch in order to have decent sounding music. I don't know if that would cause the battery to drain faster than normal? But I could never go back to not using an amp. Also the speakers were change to Infinity, but I digress.

So, should I replace the battery now before I possibly get stranded somewhere?

When I do replace the battery, what are good batteries for this car? Is there a more powerful battery option considering the extra load of using an amp?

Thanks for any feedback!

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Resting battery voltage... that is what loads are applied?
    Is it read the moment you turn ignition on?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    No, its with the ignition turned off (the fixd/OBII plugged in) and I click on the battery scan on my phone app (instructions say to have the car turned off).

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    So next time disconnect the negative terminal after you park the car and then run the test.
    Resting voltage is only a part of the story.
    A completely destroyed battery can still read 12.8 V or more but with any load it will fail.

Can your AMP drain anything when car is off?
    Any subwoofer there?

If regular sound system - no, it should not be able to drain battery. Unless your drive is 5 miles in stop and go traffic in winter time or with AC on full blast.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks...
    I think I'll bring it to a mechanic who can hook up a professional battery meter. Hopefully it will be ok.

When the battery does need to be replaced whether now or down the line some time, what are some good options?
    It seems like a lot of batteries are made by Johnson Controls. One version is sold at Walmart called Everstart Maxx , group H5. Cold cranking amps are 650 and its
    received good reviews in other cars and costs less than $120 which seems reasonable if its a quality battery....has anybody tried this one?

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    I still think the battery should be good. If you can start no problem, that means it has enough reserve. I would not spend the money unless it is really needed.
    Better check for any drain currents.
    Take any multimeter, set it to DC amperage at 10 A or 20 A if available and measure what is the current flow.
    If anything more than 0.5 A, eventually 1 A, I would be really worried. Of course make sure all doors are closed and lights are off.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors