I don't understand why BBK aren't universal.
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on I don't understand why BBK aren't universal. within the Kia Forte Forte Brakes forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; When you try to buy Brembo or StopTech for instance, they're all specialized for certain vehicles. Same with rims/wheels but I understand that to a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I don't understand why BBK aren't universal.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times

When you try to buy Brembo or StopTech for instance, they're all specialized for certain vehicles. Same with rims/wheels but I understand that to a degree because there are different bolt patterns.

Ok so for brakes, it just seems like simple logic. Make sure the brake callipers fit on the rotors and the rotors fit on the wheel hub then make sure they clear the wheel diameter. Voila!

Reality is quite different. No Brembo for our car, no StopTech. I see VW GTIs put on aftermarket Brembos, STI come standard with Brembo, hell, even GTI guys are running Porsche 911 brakes.

What the hell? Why can't we do that?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Hell, I had Porsche 4-pot monoblock callipers and pads, with Turbo rotors on my '94 WRX Plus people have been taking the brembo's, front and rear, from STI's and fitting them to WRX models.

Hmm, here's a thought. AP Racing used to have a template you could download, print out, and pop onto stiff card and see if the calliper / rotor would fit your setup before you purchased the kit. Not sure if they still do that.

For the brembo solution, specifically the rear 2-pots on classic WRX's I know someone who got a local engineering firm to fab up a bracket to fit them, and for my Porsche setup I needed to run spacers to give the correct width / offset, plus there was a special bracket that bolted up to the original caliper mounting position to get it in the right spot.

Perhaps that's all there is too it, needing a bracket made up, plus the correct offset / sized wheels to clear. Thing is, there's the cost involved in getting the bracket, and I suspect the big firms don't see the return in doing that yet.

What would be great is if someone had the required callipers, and either had the skills, or knew someone who had them, that could knock up a bracket. Perhaps even 3D print it, just for clearance and fitting purposes (not sure 3D printed stuff would cope with stress and heat? no idea what materials you can use these days) and then if it works, get it properly fabricated from something (aluminium?)

Supporting Vendor 6thElementEngineering's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    622 times
    You can do anything if it's designed right.

If there were enough demand I'd like to build a BBK. Hardest part is getting the caliper mounted correctly, and that's fairly easy lol
    6th Element Engineering - Premier Kia/Hyundai Performance
    www.sxthelement.com
    email us: [email protected]
    2014 Koup SX - Graphite Steel/6-Speed
    6th Element Engineering Modifications:
    Cold Air Intake
    Lower Engine Mount
    Shifter Bushings
    Shifter Cable Bushings
    Resonator Delete Pipe
    Radiator Cap Cover
    Dual Oil Catch Can Kit
    Front Mount Intercooler Kit
    MAX FLOW Fuel Pump/Line Kit

Currently prototyping: Downpipe, OEM Intercooler Hot Pipe Kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Hyundai Genesis sedan . Playingwithmymind mentioned that the brakes fit on the front . Kdm motors sells this kit as an upgrade for the koup. Brembo has a kit for the same platform so it should be transferable over to the forte's . For years companies have made custom kits and brembo sells a caliper that basically just needs an adapter . That's how tons of people have been using porche Spyder brakes for years now . First on VW's then later on wrx's they are unbelievably expensive to get a new kit that's why the porche is the cheapest options long with sti or other cats that have upgrade brembos . Neo tech makes a big brake kit for our cars too . Searching South Korea speed shops and aftermarket companies a lot of this has been done now for the k3 tgdi koup
    Mods:
    Prosport Evo boost gauge 60mm premium
    SXTH V2 vaccum block
    Synapse Syncronic BOV
    SXTH Sri
    HKS M40XL
    845Motorsports FMIC upgraded core
    Luxon stage one kit
    Scale Inovative coil-overs
    845 motorsports tuned
    Full 845 turbo back 3" exhaust with HKS hipower evo 8 muffler
    Map/boost sensor upgrade 84400/2B050
    soon to come EBC and BOVC Bullet valve solenoid

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Caezar View Post
    Hyundai Genesis sedan . Playingwithmymind mentioned that the brakes fit on the front . Kdm motors sells this kit as an upgrade for the koup. Brembo has a kit for the same platform so it should be transferable over to the forte's . For years companies have made custom kits and brembo sells a caliper that basically just needs an adapter . That's how tons of people have been using porche Spyder brakes for years now . First on VW's then later on wrx's they are unbelievably expensive to get a new kit that's why the porche is the cheapest options long with sti or other cats that have upgrade brembos . Neo tech makes a big brake kit for our cars too . Searching South Korea speed shops and aftermarket companies a lot of this has been done now for the k3 tgdi koup
    I didn't say direct fit or the rotors and calipers I have would be bolted on. Rotors are 330 mm with 9 mm more hat than the Forte has, lug pattern, hub bore, thickness and hat diameter are all right on the money. Yes the caliper will need a bracket to mount up and that is what I have been looking for, the stock caliper bracket off the Genesis sedan 3.8L. $150 for rotors (stock), $240 for both calipers (stock 4 piston) and a set of pads, brackets and stainless lines with a total of under $500 for a BBK would be awesome.

@6th, maybe I should bring what I have when I come up for you to look at.
    2014 Forte Koup
    [SIZE=1]BC COILOVER KIT
    Engine - UNSURE WHAT IS GOING TO BE USED
    BREMBO BRAKES ALL 4 CORNERS
    THE BUILD IS ON HOLD
    #TOO_MUCH_INVESTED_TO_STOP_NOW
    2003 Ford Ranger
    Bagged with full custom suspension
    2004 Jeep WJ
    Mild Longarm Lift
    Big enough to look good but small enough to be practical
    Show only, sponsored for SQ competition

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    glazed rotors are where its at bra

shagger likes this.
    Veloster Turbo AEM SRI (shortened from a CAI)
    6th Element Shifter Base & Cable Bushings - Cosmo Racing Short Shifter
    845 Motorsports Catless Downpipe (1st 14koup with it.) wrapped with DEI titanium
    Gutted rear cat - TurboSocks Rigid Collars - Mobius Dash Cam - TB & IM Coolant Bypass
    Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 Engine oil - Redline MT90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil
    Check out my channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/honhon05

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by honhon View Post
    glazed rotors are where its at bra
    Yeah, if you do it right you can get cool colors. Kinda like a rainbow

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Once there's more demand and more of these cars on the road, it should be easier. As a former VW owner, there was lots of support as well as experimentation. My 2001 Passat GLX only had 11.3" front rotors - half inch SMALLER than a Forte SX. A little experimentation found that using a TT Quattro caliper bracket and bolts, the 12.3" rotor from the 99-01 A8 would fit. A short time later, someone turned me on to a group - B.I.R.A. I think it was. Brake Improvement Research Association I think. I don't know if it still exists or remember if they played with anything but VW/Audi products, but I found brackets - a nice aircraft grade aluminum block - that allowed the use of Porsche Boxter calipers over those 12.3" rotors. Bought them used from one of the members for $100 and a used set of Boxter calipers for $200 and a set of S/S lines. Amazing difference. A year or so later, BBK's were everywhere.
    2012 Forte SX 5 Door
    Drag 19 OE size
    Gen 1 Projectors w/HID kit
    Nokya Yellow Fogs
    Visual Garage Shark Fin
    Some LED's here n there - Love the front switchbacks.
    Soon to be a '16 Forte5 SX parked next to it

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerAdvisor View Post
    Once there's more demand and more of these cars on the road, it should be easier. As a former VW owner, there was lots of support as well as experimentation. My 2001 Passat GLX only had 11.3" front rotors - half inch SMALLER than a Forte SX. A little experimentation found that using a TT Quattro caliper bracket and bolts, the 12.3" rotor from the 99-01 A8 would fit. A short time later, someone turned me on to a group - B.I.R.A. I think it was. Brake Improvement Research Association I think. I don't know if it still exists or remember if they played with anything but VW/Audi products, but I found brackets - a nice aircraft grade aluminum block - that allowed the use of Porsche Boxter calipers over those 12.3" rotors. Bought them used from one of the members for $100 and a used set of Boxter calipers for $200 and a set of S/S lines. Amazing difference. A year or so later, BBK's were everywhere.
    You're talking about VW where they have a loyal following and a lineage that dates to to the 70s when they invented the hot hatch segment. Hyundai/Kia just started making decent cars -5 years ago.

How do you like the Drag wheels? I'm thinking of getting some XXRs but some of the Drag selections aren't bad.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014Forte5 View Post
    You're talking about VW where they have a loyal following and a lineage that dates to to the 70s when they invented the hot hatch segment. Hyundai/Kia just started making decent cars -5 years ago.

How do you like the Drag wheels? I'm thinking of getting some XXRs but some of the Drag selections aren't bad.
    Agreed with VW. My first new car was my 85 GTI. Didn't do much to it. I bought my sister's 86 Jetta Coupe from her in 1997. By 2000, it had half the Neuspeed catalog on it, springs, sway bars, upgraded brakes,etc. I was just short of doing a 1.8T swap. As years went by and as a former VW and Audi service advisor, reliability issues steer me away. I'd love a Golf R, or even a 5 door GTI performance pack. They are more touchy feely and really do "drive" nicer, but the history of reliability in the last decade as well as short warranty keep me away from VW. As for the wheels, no complaints. We like them a lot.

Last edited by FormerAdvisor; 03-07-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    2012 Forte SX 5 Door
    Drag 19 OE size
    Gen 1 Projectors w/HID kit
    Nokya Yellow Fogs
    Visual Garage Shark Fin
    Some LED's here n there - Love the front switchbacks.
    Soon to be a '16 Forte5 SX parked next to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors