Car pulls when braking.
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Car pulls when braking.

This is a discussion on Car pulls when braking. within the Kia Forte Forte Brakes forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; I'm not sure if anyone else notices this. But when I'm on the freeway (approx 70mph) and traffic stops without warning and I hit the ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Car pulls when braking.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times

Car pulls when braking.

I'm not sure if anyone else notices this. But when I'm on the freeway (approx 70mph) and traffic stops without warning and I hit the brakes, the car pulls right. If I had to guess I'd guess its the pass rear brakes is hitting harder. Which is the caliper that technically should be less than the rest... Anyone else?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014:1.6lT View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else notices this. But when I'm on the freeway (approx 70mph) and traffic stops without warning and I hit the brakes, the car pulls right. If I had to guess I'd guess its the pass rear brakes is hitting harder. Which is the caliper that technically should be less than the rest... Anyone else?
    Multiple factors involved here, pitch of the road, rear alignment, do you feel it in the steering or does it just drift right without the steering being affected? If the right rear has less toe setting than the left it will pull the whole car to the right (common to happen after hitting a pot hole) a bad caliper usually but not always will lock up or activate the ABS which you would most likely here and feel. The crown of the road will also have affect, alignment is preset to pull the car towards the shoulder of the road under extreme breaking and how hard it will pull depends on how steep the crown is. On a 4 lane highway using the left lane or left side of crown will negate the pull and allow you to stop straight. Perfectly flat surface will still drift 6" every 25' and isn't noticeable in everyday commutes. The front alignment will also affect pulling while breaking with no real affect on the steering, this doesn't happen much from toe but from hitting a pot hole for example and slightly bending the lower A-arm enough to affect caster but nothing else. Not enough to show a problem while driving but will be prevalent while it has the pressure from breaking force against it.
    Try this go about 10 MPH on a somewhat lvl surface and let go of the steering and pull up slowly on the E-brake and see if it continues in the same path or you see the steering turn. If steering turns I would look more at rear alignment (E-brake is not fluid controlled or abs controlled and applies even force to both sides). Then do the same with light pressure on the brake pedal (light pressure will only use front brakes) if it still goes straight try a little more pressure that should tell if it is front or rear alignment or caliper.
    2014 Forte Koup
    [SIZE=1]BC COILOVER KIT
    Engine - UNSURE WHAT IS GOING TO BE USED
    BREMBO BRAKES ALL 4 CORNERS
    THE BUILD IS ON HOLD
    #TOO_MUCH_INVESTED_TO_STOP_NOW
    2003 Ford Ranger
    Bagged with full custom suspension
    2004 Jeep WJ
    Mild Longarm Lift
    Big enough to look good but small enough to be practical
    Show only, sponsored for SQ competition

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Brake assist Yo.. hold steering wheel perfectly straight without any torque on the wheel and try again..I discovered the brake assist the hard and scary way

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have experienced the same issue when hard braking. My car is about a month or two old so I will check for any of the things above. Is it normal for this at this new?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Bought mine Feb 24 15. Thx for the ideas. I'll do some testing.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    So...
    With just the "E"-brake- straight as an arrow
    With "E"-brake and sliiight brake pedal-right turn clide (not dramatic but still) it pulls right. Id say lane change in 1/8 ish mile pull
    And what do you mean brake assist???

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Did you do light pressure no E-brake? Since iy didn't pull with E-brake that pretty much eliminates rear alignment and calipers. Now just need to determine if it is alignment or right front brake. So now do 15 mph and do a normal stop and a panic stop and see if the harder you push the more it pulls. If it does it would be front right brake but doesn't condemn the caliper and may just be glazed rotor and pad.
    2014 Forte Koup
    [SIZE=1]BC COILOVER KIT
    THE BUILD IS ON HOLD
    2003 Ford Ranger
    2004 Jeep WJ
    Mild Longarm Lift

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    I did like enough pressure to turn brake lights on+ "E"brake. Thats it.

ps, I hate the term "emergency" brake. Maybe in 1966 it was a last ditch effort brake, but I dare someone to pull that hard doing 65+
    Last edited by 2014:1.6lT; 04-12-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Dude no.. I am 90% sure you're just feeling the effects of brake assist.. if you brake hard at high speed the car will apply extra pressure to get you stopped faster. Now if your steering wheel is not perfectly straight it will have a pull on it. Check out a google search on brake assist and you will find others feeling the same thing.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Quote Originally Posted by precrack View Post
    Dude no.. I am 90% sure you're just feeling the effects of brake assist.. if you brake hard at high speed the car will apply extra pressure to get you stopped faster. Now if your steering wheel is not perfectly straight it will have a pull on it. Check out a google search on brake assist and you will find others feeling the same thing.
    He is pulling to the right with just light pressure not just high speeds and heavy braking.
    2014 Forte Koup
    [SIZE=1]BC COILOVER KIT
    THE BUILD IS ON HOLD
    2003 Ford Ranger
    2004 Jeep WJ
    Mild Longarm Lift