Stock intake size
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Stock intake size

This is a discussion on Stock intake size within the Kia Forte Turbo Performance forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; I had read about modding the stock intake over on the Veloster Turbo forum. It seemed like someone had sized their stock airbox outlet up ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lephoenix
  • 1 Post By drc69

Thread: Stock intake size

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times

Stock intake size

I had read about modding the stock intake over on the Veloster Turbo forum. It seemed like someone had sized their stock airbox outlet up to 3 or 3.5".

I was about to purchase some piping to replace the stock stuff but still connect to my stock airbox so I measured the outlet. It's 4.25". While I didn't look to close at the inside of the piping it seemed fairly smooth...

So, I decided to leave the piping stock. I'm not sure what benefit there would be since the biggest aftermarket piping is 3.5". That's a pretty substantial difference.
    Seems like the stock piping on the veloster might be smaller than ours.
    Last edited by lephoenix; 06-04-2020 at 06:53 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    To add some updates to this. I purchased a used injen intake and had it installed for a while. I mostly liked the look of it but the piping just looked odd to me since it was noticeably smaller than stock. Also, the sound. It was really cool at times but at other times it was really annoying. I ended up selling it because I didn't notice much/any performance difference and I was over the sound (especially cold starts).

So back with the stock intake with a k&n drop in. The stock piping of 4.25" has over double the volume of a 3" pipe. I pulled off the small piece of the bottom of the snorkel where it meets the airbox.
    This slightly changed the sound and probably slightly changed the amount of air getting into the airbox but now it was all being pulled through the hot intercooler. My IAT's were never crazy high but they were slightly higher than I expected.

Not being completely satisfied with that but not wanting to cut up my stock airbox, I bought a brand new OEM lower airbox from a kia dealer for about $25. The hardware had to be swapped over from my old airbox but that was pretty easy. The change I made was cutting open the majority of the side of the lower airbox near the fender. Whether IAT's will drop now I don't know. Although some VT guys I think have done some testing and noticed differences when the intake isn't drawing in air from behind the intercooler.
    What I did notice is the sound. For my taste, it's nearly perfect. Maybe slightly louder than I want but its the best set up sound-wise I have had yet. You can really hear the intake when you get on it a little but for normal driving it is not annoyingly loud. I haven't driven with the windows up and radio on but I suspect I wouldn't be able to hear it at all if I did.
    drc69 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Cool write-up / info. Well I bought a SXTH intake setup awhile back. I have not installed it yet. I'm hoping it's not to loud I really don't like the look of the stock setup and cost of the panel filters.
    I sure like the look of the SXTH intake, I just hope it's not to loud.
    Maybe next week, I need to also install a new serpentine belt at the same-time.
    Last edited by drc69; 06-04-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    lephoenix likes this.
    2014 Koup "SX" A/T Silver. Mods; Tint, 6th EE Delete Pipe, Sylvania SilverStar Head, Nokya Fog, Interior LEDs, Debadge (Forte) Trunk-75A Red Dogbone (one side only) Done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    I drooled over sxth intakes for years but have never purchased one. They are the best looking intake option IMO.

The sound is supposed to be about the same as a 3" intake but maybe a bit deeper. I've heard its better sounding than the injen that I had but not any quieter. It's all just what you like though. Like I said, I liked the way the intake sounded a lot of times. My wife even liked it at times. She took the car to pick up a friend and was eager to show her how it sounded but was disappointed to find out that I had taken it off. Then she also said she was a bit embarrassed at time by how loud it was. So, who knows. To each their own.

The nice thing about the sxth intake is that there is always a good market for used ones. And if you don't like it and opt for a slightly modified stock setup you probably aren't compromising much if any power. sxth claims 7whp and 3 wtq for their intake. I would guess that is mostly accomplished just by having a higher flowing filter.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors