noisy engine bay!
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

noisy engine bay!

This is a discussion on noisy engine bay! within the Kia Forte Turbo Maintenance forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; this might be a stupid thread, but this car is so different than the NA engines I've driven so figured I'd ask you all.... So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: noisy engine bay!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times

noisy engine bay!

this might be a stupid thread, but this car is so different than the NA engines I've driven so figured I'd ask you all....

So I picked up my F5 last night and while they said the oil was changed recently, I noticed it was dark and I was worried they just used whatever stock 5w-30 they had on hand, so I performed my first oil change on this car.....

not so bad, wasnt happy about the bolt facing the front instead of the back of the car (to get more old oil out) but when starting the engine afterwards I noticed alot of sounds, guessing this is normal, will try to get a clip tomorrow, but then when I turned it off, there was a humming and clicking going on.....is that normal?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Direct injected motors click and hum, it's the nature of the high pressure fuel injectors and to a lesser extent the valvetrain. It's one reason these cars use such heavy padding on the engine cover and the hood. In the car these plus acoustic material in the firewall block out the sounds but with the hood up they're noticeable. It's not specific to just the 1.6t gamma motors or even Kia, but most modern direct injected motors.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    The lobe on the camshaft that runs the high pressure fuel pump is square (with a bit of rounded edges). Yep, it's noisy. Small price to pay for such precision fuel management. As far as noise after the engine was turned off thats the magic relay fairy saying thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    967 times
    It's normal for this car. The hum and clicking I found it to be the throttle body.
    15 F5 A/T
    Ask me about my mods. To much to list
    Instagram: Forte5t
    Team Hybrid

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    On other turbo cars I've had and I assume on this one too there is an oil pump that runs after the car has been turned off to circulate oil through the turbo while it cools.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    i havent heard of an oil pump that runs after the engine is turned off...

99% of cars i would assume are all driven off the crank shaft as thats the best and most reliable method of pumping the oil when the engine is running, i only say 99% because there are vehicles with dry sump external pumps... but we're talking super car level at that point... and even then... there wouldn't be a reason to keep pumping oil through a motor that isnt running...

maybe coolant, but that'll flow on his own by thermal properties such as the thermostat opening and allowing the really hot coolant to flow out of the turbo and thus pulling in cooler coolant into itself.... then of course the really really hot coolant gets pushed out into the reservoir tank.

to have an "extra" pump for the turbo, the oil would have to come through the secondary pump when the engine is running.....

the only thing i hear after i turn the car off is the relay that cuts power to the windows and you can hear the fuel pump turn off also.

GDi is the way of the future... gotta get used to the noise unfortunately... when i first got my car i swear my high psi pump sounded like rod knock, but its not... it takes some getting used to.

keep in mind also that the owners manual does say at 55 degrees and above that kia recommends 5w40.... i really dislike that the oil cap says 5w30.... basically if you live in merica and some parts of canada, if your going by the owner's manual... this engine should never receive 5w30 except for a few short periods during winter

Last edited by honhon; 04-01-2016 at 07:19 AM.
    Veloster Turbo AEM SRI (shortened from a CAI)
    6th Element Shifter Base & Cable Bushings - Cosmo Racing Short Shifter
    845 Motorsports Catless Downpipe (1st 14koup with it.) wrapped with DEI titanium
    Gutted rear cat - TurboSocks Rigid Collars - Mobius Dash Cam - TB & IM Coolant Bypass
    Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 Engine oil - Redline MT90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil
    Check out my channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/honhon05

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lephoenix View Post
    On other turbo cars I've had and I assume on this one too there is an oil pump that runs after the car has been turned off to circulate oil through the turbo while it cools.
    Quote Originally Posted by honhon View Post
    maybe coolant, but that'll flow on his own by thermal properties such as the thermostat opening and allowing the really hot coolant to flow out of the turbo and thus pulling in cooler coolant into itself.... then of course the really really hot coolant gets pushed out into the reservoir tank.
    If I am not mistaken VW (at leas in GTI) has an auxiliary electric water pump that circulates coolant after engine shut down.
    In our cars - there is some humming noise for a few seconds after shut down. I thought it was a trapped humming bird

There is also lots of noise before you start it... I did not really have time to chase them. It's been only 10 days of our relationship.
    lephoenix likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    i did look up this pump you speak of... some people deleted them even... if you give your car a little time to cool, you shouldnt have any issues....

yesterday i completed a 2 hour drive... it was around 82 degrees low humidity... when i got to the gas station to fill up before i hit the house, i just let the car idle while i fill up the tank so im not just getting off the high way and then turning the car off... then when i get to my street i usually go into 4th or 6th gear and keep the RPM's low... and even try to coast as much as i can to keep the RPM's under 1k and the air flowing through the radiator high... and yesterday just for a little extra measure sense both my cars are garage kept. i even popped the hood just to let the heat escape that much quicker.

to me a turbo timer would be more effective than an extra pump.... but even a turbo timer can be omitted by just keeping in mind that you have a turbo charged car and you need to give it a little time to cool. it doesnt even need to cool that much... it just needs to shed off the extra heat....

845 Motorsports Catless Downpipe (1st 14koup with it.) wrapped with DEI titanium
    Gutted rear cat - TurboSocks Rigid Collars - Mobius Dash Cam - TB & IM Coolant Bypass
    Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 Engine oil - Redline MT90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Maybe its an extra water pump I'm thinking of but I thought I had read for a past car that there was an oil pump, which I thought was weird, but whatever.

If it exists it's essentially just a turbo timer. I would rather let the manufacturer handle that for me than worry about letting it cool. But to each his own.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    true.... maybe kia/hyundai feel that sense the head and block are aluminum there isnt a need for anything of the sorts....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors