Transmission fluid change - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Transmission fluid change

This is a discussion on Transmission fluid change within the Kia Forte Turbo Maintenance forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; Originally Posted by 16SnowWhitePearl Probably still winning, because I'm sure it doesn't take an hour to do. That was the very reason I thought I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Transmission fluid change

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 16SnowWhitePearl View Post
    Probably still winning, because I'm sure it doesn't take an hour to do.
    That was the very reason I thought I would let them do the flush... as it is only one visit, one hour, and all done. It would take me maybe 2 hours total (roughly 30-40 minutes for each drain), plus all the mess and disposal of used ATF.
    And something what is priceless - this expense could build up much better relationship with the dealer.

Anyway, let us know if you notice any change in the way it drives.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers) - SOLD...
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2015 AUDI Q5 (for wife...)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for wife)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Got it done, this evening. Name:  6835E6F6-32BC-467D-A3D2-10E582CBCCE0.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  562.7 KB
    44k mile fluidName:  999843BA-9ADF-423A-BD23-B12BCC59CA66.jpeg
Size:  776.8 KB
    Drained just shy of 4 quarts Name:  13213E30-FFFE-4239-B6C1-4E2D6EC65815.jpeg
Size:  2.66 MB
    Refilled the same. Didnít need the single quart, but itís good to have on hand. Pretty smooth job. Buttoned everything up, got cleaned up and went for a drive. I wanted to be sure I wasnít trying too hard to notice a difference. That being said, what I absolutely felt, right away was this: When Iím driving about 20 mph or less and slowing down to make a turn...the downshift to that lowest gear is a pretty noticeable jerk...or jolt. It kind of reminds me of a manual transmission when you shift down to first gear while going a little too fast for 1st. That is completely gone. I purposely tried to duplicate it and couldnít. Another thing I noticed is getting on the highway from a stop, the shifts are nearly imperceptible. Iíve got a few places to got , tomorrow, so Iíll get some more miles in.
    2016 Forte5 SX - Bone stock, except for wheels and tint
    Build date: 4/16

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Refilled the same. Didn’t need the single quart, but it’s good to have on hand. Pretty smooth job. Buttoned everything up, got cleaned up and went for a drive. I wanted to be sure I wasn’t trying too hard to notice a difference. That being said, what I absolutely felt, right away was this: When I’m driving about 20 mph or less and slowing down to make a turn...the downshift to that lowest gear is a pretty noticeable jerk...or jolt. It kind of reminds me of a manual transmission when you shift down to first gear while going a little too fast for 1st. That is completely gone. I purposely tried to duplicate it and couldn’t. Another thing I noticed is getting on the highway from a stop, the shifts are nearly imperceptible. I’ve got a few places to got , tomorrow, so I’ll get some more miles in.
    Very Nice! I really need to do this.
    I've never touched a tranny before so for some reason I'm nervous. I don't think my nervousness is valid though.
    I checked yesterday when Dobbs was fixing my slow tire leak and they charge $150.

I was going to reply with, you should come and do that for my car. Then noticed your location and remembered you're only like 30 minutes away so I felt like that would be weird. Lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Refilled the same. Didn’t need the single quart, but it’s good to have on hand. Pretty smooth job. Buttoned everything up, got cleaned up and went for a drive. I wanted to be sure I wasn’t trying too hard to notice a difference. That being said, what I absolutely felt, right away was this: When I’m driving about 20 mph or less and slowing down to make a turn...the downshift to that lowest gear is a pretty noticeable jerk...or jolt. It kind of reminds me of a manual transmission when you shift down to first gear while going a little too fast for 1st. That is completely gone. I purposely tried to duplicate it and couldn’t. Another thing I noticed is getting on the highway from a stop, the shifts are nearly imperceptible. I’ve got a few places to got , tomorrow, so I’ll get some more miles in.
    Did you let the motor run until the cooling fan kicked on to check the level at the plastic plug?
    2016 SX Silver
    Build Date 4/16
    In Service 2/13/17

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lephoenix View Post
    Very Nice! I really need to do this.
    I've never touched a tranny before so for some reason I'm nervous. I don't think my nervousness is valid though.
    I checked yesterday when Dobbs was fixing my slow tire leak and they charge $150.

I was going to reply with, you should come and do that for my car. Then noticed your location and remembered you're only like 30 minutes away so I felt like that would be weird. Lol
    LOL...that’s funny, man. You’re right, though...no reason to be nervous. I’ve done a ton of transmission services on a lot of different vehicles and our is one of the most straightforward I’ve seen. I was an hour from start to finish...maybe less. $20 in fluid...even doing it twice in back to back weekends, like I plan to...well worth it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SXTurbo View Post
    Did you let the motor run until the cooling fan kicked on to check the level at the plastic plug?

No, I don’t think I did wait til the fan came on. I poured til it came out of the check plug hole, put the plug in, started it and ran through the gears several times, pulled the plug and added a touch more until it was coming out again. I pretty much put in the four quart jug. I plan to do round 2, this coming weekend since I drive about 100-125 miles a week.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors