Transmission fluid change - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Transmission fluid change

This is a discussion on Transmission fluid change within the Kia Forte Turbo Maintenance forums, part of the Kia Forte Turbo Garage category; 28k you say? How hard was it driven? Many WOT from dead stop? Any towing/high mountain? How the ATF compared to fresh one? Mine is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Transmission fluid change

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    28k you say?
    How hard was it driven? Many WOT from dead stop? Any towing/high mountain?

How the ATF compared to fresh one?

Mine is at 25k. I was thinking of changing it, but never really came to it. Now I am actually thinking of selling it, though.

From my previous experience.
    In 2007 KIA Rondo (it was V6, 5spd) the ATF was flushed at 35k. It was really brownish. Not very bad, but definitely not red as fresh one. That was I think in 2011/2012 or so.

Now, the kicker. Before we sold it at 65k miles, in 2016, the ATF looked still like new.
    It simply seemed like the factory fill did not last as long as the flushed one... maybe additives? Maybe something else was in the tranny, any fluids, sealers that discoloured the original one. Who knows.
    Shifts, though, were almost same. A bit better, but nothing huge.
    drc69 likes this.
    Drives:
    2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers)
    2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
    2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for my wife)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drc69 View Post
    OK so after driving around most of the day (3-19-19) the up-shift was much smoother and a little-bit firmer.
    But the "big" difference (40% to 50%) was the down-shift was very smooth and nice. Before it was not great and it lagged/hanged-up a-bit. NO more.
    For $20 I "will" do this again in a few months, just as easy to do just like changing oil and filter just add another one and a half hours (I take my time) or so on to the days car maintenance.
    Great info drc69. Glad to hear you had positive results. I was going to use SP4-M trans oil but it's around $10.00 a quart from the dealer. Valvoline trans oil is a great deal and if it's working well I'll go with that.
    drc69 likes this.
    2016 SX Silver
    Build Date 4/16
    In Service 2/13/17

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PLP View Post
    28k you say?
    How hard was it driven? Many WOT from dead stop? Any towing/high mountain?

How the ATF compared to fresh one?

Mine is at 25k. I was thinking of changing it, but never really came to it. Now I am actually thinking of selling it, though.

From my previous experience.
    In 2007 KIA Rondo (it was V6, 5spd) the ATF was flushed at 35k. It was really brownish. Not very bad, but definitely not red as fresh one. That was I think in 2011/2012 or so.

Now, the kicker. Before we sold it at 65k miles, in 2016, the ATF looked still like new.
    It simply seemed like the factory fill did not last as long as the flushed one... maybe additives? Maybe something else was in the tranny, any fluids, sealers that discoloured the original one. Who knows.
    Shifts, though, were almost same. A bit better, but nothing huge.
    Car is driven "normal". Sure I do a few WOT here and there. No towing or long distance driving. As I said the OEM fluid didn't look bad at all, but made a positive improvement to the way the trans shifts now.
    I'm not planning on selling the car, no need to replace it for any reason in my book. I bought it "new" and replace the old car ( Mitsubishi Eclipse ) with this one. Which I still Like A Lot more then the old car, not very good at all.
    2014 Koup "SX" A/T Silver. Mods; Tint, 6th EE Delete Pipe, Sylvania SilverStar Head, Nokya Fog, Interior LEDs, Debadge (Forte) Trunk-75A Red Dogbone (one side only) Done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SXTurbo View Post
    Great info drc69. Glad to hear you had positive results. I was going to use SP4-M trans oil but it's around $10.00 a quart from the dealer. Valvoline trans oil is a great deal and if it's working well I'll go with that.
    I've used Valvoline for more then 40 years now, so I'm good with that brand. For many years I only used Kendall oil and then when back to Valvoline. The good old days, at lease for me they where. LOL
    2014 Koup "SX" A/T Silver. Mods; Tint, 6th EE Delete Pipe, Sylvania SilverStar Head, Nokya Fog, Interior LEDs, Debadge (Forte) Trunk-75A Red Dogbone (one side only) Done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors