Other drivers on the road that frustrate you discussion/rant.
Close
Login to Your Account
Kia Forte Turbo Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Other drivers on the road that frustrate you discussion/rant. within the Off Topic forums, part of the Kia Forte Forum category; So random board discussion, for example what is everyone's opinion in regards to merging on the freeway speed limit 70 mph. Ive found in the ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Other drivers on the road that frustrate you discussion/rant.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times

So random board discussion, for example what is everyone's opinion in regards to merging on the freeway speed limit 70 mph. Ive found in the area I live people often merge anywhere between 45 and 70 mph. I find this dangerous when cars a cruising past you and they just poke along until their 20% throttle gets them to 70 mph. Then when people are merging the ones one the freeway hit their brakes to allow the merger to merge. IMO shouldn't you hit the gas that way the merger would yield if they were traveling at proper speed? Or simply switch lanes if possible.

Discuss or not discuss I just thought it might be a fun off topic from different areas to chat.

This is not about to just complain about people driving too slow, too fast, or too aggressive. I just want to know what others have experienced in different areas and what is the common perception on road rules/ common curtesy.
    15 Forte 5 SX manual. Instagram - Fritter218
    Mods....more to come soon.
    Rally Armor Flaps
    Winter wraps Hakkapaliitta R2 (205 55 16)
    BPV to atmosphere.
    Sxthelement engine mount.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    For the sake of not derailing this thread, I will not complain about Ottawa drivers.

However to comment on your point; as the merger I will get up to whatever speed traffic is flowing at, and the people that merge at half that speed are idiots.

As the driver already in the highway, I always switch lanes if I can to give the merging driver space. If i cant, its very situational.

If i have time to pass, I will. Sometimes the merging vehicle will be travelling slower than me, but further ahead and then I think its common courtesy to let them in providing they are running out of room. If they still have a huge stretch I'll pass... But cautiously.

One thing that does grind my gears are driver who signal while they are already turning. I firmly believe everyone should use their INDICATORS to INDICATE what they are GOING to do

Member #
    Vancouver, not B.C., Washington, Not D.C.
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    The worst are the people who get freaked out on the cloverleaf on-ramps and just stop. Then are left to try to merge into highway speeds with their 0-60 in about 2 minute mobiles.
    2015 Aurora Black Forte5 SX Manual

4. Remove Advertisements
    ForteTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    I live in a mountainous area and one thing that always gets on my nerves are drivers, especially 18 wheelers, who get in the fast lane going uphill to pass a vehicle going 1 mph slower than them. Sometimes it becomes an event that lasts for days( ok only feels that way lol) and clogs up the passing lane for miles. In the same vein driver who constantly ride in the passing lane despite not passing or merging also irritate me. Some states have actually enacted slow poke laws that make it a ticketable offense to impede the flow of traffic. 18 wheelers which stay in the fast lane through congested areas with lots of red-lights also gets old. If you're not turning or merging stay out of the passing and merging lane.

Member #
    Vancouver, not B.C., Washington, Not D.C.
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Yeah out on the mountain roads here in the PNW it's a ticketable offense to cause a backup of 5 vehicles. You are required to use one of the slow vehicle turnouts if that happens. And it's actually enforced as are keep right except to pass laws on the highway.
    Neanderthal likes this.
    2015 Aurora Black Forte5 SX Manual

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by staax View Post

One thing that does grind my gears are driver who signal while they are already turning. I firmly believe everyone should use their INDICATORS to INDICATE what they are GOING to do
    Right?! The point of the turn signal is to let drivers know you WILL BE turning lol
    PLP and staax like this.
    15 Forte 5 SX manual. Instagram - Fritter218
    Mods....more to come soon.
    Rally Armor Flaps
    Winter wraps Hakkapaliitta R2 (205 55 16)
    BPV to atmosphere.
    Sxthelement engine mount.

PLP
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    My approach.

First anticipate. Look how many cars are coming in and will they merge.
    Then, change the lane. I mean, why would I slow down? I would change the lane. It is that simple.
    If none of the above can happen, I keep my speed or slow down or rather increase if I see the gal does not want to accelerate. However, the change is within 5 mph. I would never slam the brakes, unless avoiding collision.

In short - anticipate and get ready (move over).

Member #
    Member #
    Overloaded dumptrucks from a quarry rolling down the middle lane of the highway dropping rocks all over the road.

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I have two major pet peeves in regards to other drivers. 1st - the "up your tail pipe" drivers who feel like they need to drive 2 inches from your rear bumper on a multi-lane roadway (not a highway, just a normal roadway) even though there may be another lane to pass. Not to mention I'm always in the right lane driving at least the speed limit. Drives me insane, like I'm the one keeping them from their cheeseburger at lunch time - you know?? I always say, in the mornings when everyone is lat for work doing this to me --- "shoulda left on time for work. Not my fault." It's great going the speed limit in front of 4 cars on a single lane road and you can just see the anger in their faces. Sorry, but I'm not getting a ticket for you - plus where are you gonna go? There's 10 other cars 50 yards in front me.

2nd - people who speed through residential neighborhoods. In the U.S. the max speed limit for a residential roadway that's not a thoroughfare is 30 mph. In my small neighborhood, away from any major roadways, I constantly see people flying doing at least 50 mph and the speed limit is posted at 30. And why? To get into their homes 2 seconds earlier? I'll never understand. I feel like people these days only focus on catching up to the car in front of them - and then when they do catch that car, they just don't have to patience to stay behind them for whatever reason. They pass that car and speed on to the next car in front of them. I'm sure there's some psychological meaning behind something like that - hahaha

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFritter View Post
    So random board discussion, for example what is everyone's opinion in regards to merging on the freeway speed limit 70 mph. Ive found in the area I live people often merge anywhere between 45 and 70 mph. I find this dangerous when cars a cruising past you and they just poke along until their 20% throttle gets them to 70 mph. Then when people are merging the ones one the freeway hit their brakes to allow the merger to merge. IMO shouldn't you hit the gas that way the merger would yield if they were traveling at proper speed? Or simply switch lanes if possible.

Discuss or not discuss I just thought it might be a fun off topic from different areas to chat.

This is not about to just complain about people driving too slow, too fast, or too aggressive. I just want to know what others have experienced in different areas and what is the common perception on road rules/ common curtesy.
    You are correct. The merger is responsible for yielding in every situation. Not the cars that already have right of way on the road. Same goes for a multi-lane road and one lane being closed ahead --- it is ONLY the responsibilities of the cars in the closing lane to yield to other traffic. Trust me - I was an Auto Claims investigator for a major insurance company for 3 years. I dealt with this crap all of the time.
    CrazyFritter and Neanderthal like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Remove Ads

Sponsors